Jump to content

Cura Gcode corrupted (?)


Recommended Posts

Posted · Cura Gcode corrupted (?)

I have an object designed in SketchUp 2015. I used the 'STL Import & Export' extension to generate a STL file. This one I loaded into Cura (14.12.1). In Cura the object visually looks fine. Then I generated the Gcode and started to print. Unfortunately, in the last part of printing the object, it printed with errors (awkward forms).

What does it look like?

The object is a cup holder to be used for coffee cups in a car. I have included two screenshots:


  • A screenshot of the object loaded as STL in to Cura
  • A screenshot from the viewer I used to view the Gcode generated by Cura


What did I check/do after this happened?


  • I exported the SketchUp file again to STL (no different result)
  • I checked & repaired the STL file via NetFabb (no different result)
  • I downgraded Cura from v14.12.1 to v14.09 (no different result)

The object it self is 19.7cm x 16cm x 4.5cm.


What is wrong?

Any advice is welcome.

Object As viewed In Cura 14.12.1

Object As Corrupted Gcode


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura Gcode corrupted (?)

    Thanks for your suggestion. I have checked the layer view in Cura ... And, yes I found there that the misprint was already visible (no reason to start printing!).

    I went back to my original design in Sketchup and found that in the pats were Cura showed the misprint, the object was having unlogical components. I changed that, exported to STL, reloaded in Cura and checked the layer view again: no errors!

    At the moment I am printing again. I will let you know the outcome of that.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura Gcode corrupted (?)

    Well, those are "extra" triangles in your 3D model, which confuse Cura.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura Gcode corrupted (?)

    The print result is there: everything worked out fine. The object in size and shape has been printed correctly!

    There's only one thing bothering me with this object. I think the printing time is rather long (9h:53m) for this size and simplicity.

    Looking at the way the nozzle is jumping during printing of one layer, something came to me. I noticed that the nozzle is jumping at moments that I didn't expect it to jump. What I mean is, the surface of one layer more or less has a logical pattern/order to be printed in such a way that the nozzle has minimal movement. Though I noticed that it is moving many times to reposition the nozzle and continue printing somewhere else. When you look at the printed object (see attached photo

    Nozzle jumping too much?

    ) you can actually also see that the top layer shows many movement lines.

    Do you recognize this? Do you have any idea how this happens?


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura Gcode corrupted (?)

    @Team Ultimaker

    I guess you are right. Probably there is some hidden geometry inside, that causes confusing for printing. I will check that.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

        This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features
        Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
      • Ultimaker Cura 5.6 stable released
        Cura now supports Method series printers!
        A year after the merger of Ultimaker and MakerBotQQ, we have unlocked the ability for users of our Method series printers to slice files using UltiMaker Cura. As of this release, users can find profiles for our Method and Method XL printers, as well as material profiles for ABS-R, ABS-CF, and RapidRinse. Meaning it’s now possible to use either Cura or the existing cloud-slicing software CloudPrint when printing with these printers or materials
        • 48 replies
    • Create New...