.5mm or larger nozzle - the easy way

Posted · .5mm or larger nozzle - the easy way

This is my second .5mm UM2 nozzle, and this time I did it the easier and more precise way.

In order to print stronger structural parts, and to print them faster, you need a larger nozzle. The larger thread of plastic is stronger, and the back-pressure to the extruder motor is less, so you can print faster.

In trying to enlarge a UM2 .4mm nozzle the first time, I took a new .4mm nozzle from Ultimaker, and used a drill press to drill out the hole, and then sanded the tip very lightly by mounting it in the machine and then moving it around very lightly on 2000-grit sandpaper on the build plate.

This gave me a slightly oversize (probably .53mm or so) nozzle and with a wider flat on the nozzle than necessary, and which had a habit of accumulating overheated plastic around the flat, and then letting it go while printing, leaving brown/black spots.

This time I rethought the process, after realizing that I was only trying to remove .1mm (.004") from the inside of a very short tip. It doesn't need a motor to drill that little brass, and a drill-press or lathe is prone to drilling a slightly oval hole due to misalignment with the center of the .4mm hole.

So this time I simply took the drill bit, which is a near-perfect fit inside the 1/8" upper part of the nozzle, let it self-center in the original hole, and spun it with my fingers for about 20 seconds. It drilled right through, leaving a perfect hole, and no enlargement of the flat, so it prints without building up melted plastic chunks that release into the print. This nozzle works much better as a result.

The drill bit I used is this one: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/2447/=vm0pxl

It's a #76 wire-gauge size, with a 1/8" shank. About US$5.00.

If I wanted an even larger nozzle, I'd drill it to .5mm first and then enlarge that to .6mm with a larger bit, using the same technique.

interesting technique .... however at some point, maybe not at 0.5 but for sure at 0.8 you do want the "shoulder" (the flat around the hole) to become a bit bigger to be able to print wider. When I drilled (dremel from the inside) a nozzle to 0.8 I just used some sandpaper wrapped around a little block of wood to sand the shoulder a bit while holding the nozzle in a vise. Worked out fine.

anyhow I'm hoping never to use any of these techniques anymore as I'm about to receive the block with exchangable nozzle from Anders Olsson....

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7689-custom-heater-block-to-fit-e3d-nozzle-on-ultimaker-2/

Agreed re. the larger flat for larger nozzle, but a more precise method would be to mount the nozzle in the printer, put some very fine sandpaper on the bed and move the head around a bit, to ensure that it stays level to the bed.