Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
spooner777

How to improve these prints?

I had some good prints from the beginning but now I had the smart idea to imrpove them even more by readjusting the tension in the belts and the motors. (I was told to tighten the screws on the motor after a few prints.) Now, round objects are not really round anymore. What can I do?

I printed high quality on 200%. (picked the wrong g-code file but did this before with good quality)

img41761.jpg

By spooner777 at 2012-07-16

img41771.jpg

img41781.jpg

EDIT: silly me

Non-roundness is probably caused by loose belts. Tighten the belts or print out belt tensioners. One way to tension belts is to wrap chicken wire around the moving axis blocks and stretch the belts that way.

Make sure to check the short belts that go to the motors.

Next time you should resize your photos or post links to imgur because I can only see about half of each photo.

When you say "not round" are you saying you get ovals, or that the circle consists of a bunch of straight sides and thus you get polygons?

Your photos seem, to me, to be highlighting the second option - that you are getting flats on the insides of your circles.

This is explainable as possibly a problem in your model. All circles are printed as many sided polygons and perhaps your models just don't have enough sides to hide the flats. I've no idea what a good value is, but I put 100 sides on most circles.

By tightening our belts your printer could be more accurate and thus better able to render the corners between flats, where in the past they just rounded out due to inaccuracy.