Belt Tensioners

priatesndogs

Posted · Belt Tensioners

Hi Folks,

I may have missed it but my instructions for the Ultimaker Original + didn't seem to mention adding belt tensioners. I have them but I'm not really sure how to add them.

The only belt that seems to have an issue for me is the short one (vertical) that I believe controls the y axis movement. I can't see how I could add a tensioner to that belt because it looks like it would interfere with the range of movement.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Posted · Belt Tensioners

When I first got my printer, I printed and used belt tensioners (on my long belts) before I realized I didn't actually need them. Your short belts should be adjustable per the instructions (2 mm deflection IIRC) using the four stepper motor mounting screws. If not, perhaps the holes could be slightly elongated to allow for the necessary adjustment.

I printed http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34785 for a more controlled way of adjusting the X/Y short belt tension.

Posted · Belt Tensioners

The belt tensioners Are indeed for the long belts... I dont think theyll do any harm if you put them on, even if you dont think you need them now, the belts may become looser over time.

Just make sure the axis and slide blocks can move freely with the tensioners on

Posted · Belt Tensioners

... the belts may become looser over time.

Exactly why I removed mine. I didn't want to prematurely stretch them and on rare occasion one tensioner would collide with a slide block due to proximity.

The printer would also try to slide around the desk when I moved the print head while tensioners were mounted. Now it is perfectly smooth as long as I keep the rods clean.