Found an extra screw?

ggalisky

Posted · Found an extra screw?

Just got a UM2, and after the bed raised, I saw an extra screw near the back of the machine. I looked around, but could not find where it came from. Everything works fine currently. It is the same type of screw that holds the polycarbonate panels to the frame.

Free screw! (Most likely just a dropped screw during production)

Just to make sure, there should be a screw at the back end of the build plate sticking out of the bottom, this goes into a hole at the bottom to hit the endstop.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my UM2 about 2 weeks ago and after printing 20 or 30 projects, I found a screw in the bottom of my printer. The build plate would not move up or down with the Z axis lead screw. There are supposed to be 4 - 3mm screws bolting the build plate to the Z axis threaded bushing. After removing the Z axis cover plate (at the back of the build plate with "Ultimaker 2" printer on it), I found all 4 screws were missing. I checked the packing materials and the inside of the shipping box and found 3 more screws. They had apparently come loose due to shipping vibration. I replace mine adding a thread lock compound called " Blue Removable Locktite" on the threads to keep them from coming loose again. Printer works fine now. (to get the cover off, remove 2 - 3mm screws accessed from the bottom of the build plate - the screws are in line with the bottom edge of the cover - one at each end). If your build plate has any play in the Z axis, check the screws.