Bad shell with infill

param-mehta

Posted · Bad shell with infill

I'm getting some strange gaps in the outer shell of my prints when I print with an infill (of 20%) but it is perfectly fine without gaps when I use 100% infill.

I figure this shouldn't happen because the outer shell gets printed in full during every layer. Any ideas? I'm using a 0.2mm layer height and 0.8mm shell thickness with a print speed of 75mm/s.

Missing shell lines with 20% infill

Hi,

Maybe you still have the same thing with 100% infill but i shows less?

This is under extrusion, http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#underextrusion

75mm/s at 0.2mm layers should be fine, depending on your temperature (i would increase it to 220°c assuming it's PLA)

Or reduce the speed to 50mm/s

75mm/s at 0.2mm layers should be fine

What Didier said. Just to get to the root cause, try to increase the temperature and print slower - even 30-40mm/sec.

If that goes well - the print head might need some cleaning - look for the "Atomic Method" to clean the head.

Actually, performing it never hurts anyway.

@Didier and Shurik thanks for the tips. I think this has something to do with the filament. I bought the white filament from China and was facing this problem with that filament. When I switched over to one of the UM filaments, the print was absolutely fine with the 20% infill.

Do you think it is the quality of the filament or the colour? I've been told white requires the highest temperature to prevent underextrusion while darker colours need a lower temperature setting. Should I keep a higher temperature for the white filament? My current temperature is 220C.

it is the quality of the filament

Aye. Without a doubt. Higher temperature may negate some of the quality issues but it has problems of its own. In any case, 220C for UM White should be OK. Just make sure you've cleaned the nozzle after this cheap Chinese junk.