How to create a barrel with only one layer

zoev89

Posted · How to create a barrel with only one layer

I try to make a barrel like object which is in principle a cylinder with a bottom (like a vase or a cup) and a thicker top. Whatever settings I try in cura I always get 2 passes on the sidewalls. When I try spiralize I still get 2 passes (inner and outer wall). When I try to design the barrel with thinner walls cura will skip area's. It looks like it will always print the inner wall and the outer wall. So how can I trick it to only print the outer wall. Only follow mesh surface does not do the trick since then the barrel will not have a bottom layer and also the top part is not filled in.

When I make only a cylinder then I can't design the top part which slowly converges to a thicker part.

So how do you design and print a vase?

I guess I have found an intermediate answer. I created a stl with only the outer shell and print that with spiralize. And I have a stl of the complete object which I print with the normal settings to obtain the top part. Then I merge the 2 gcode files at a specific height reset the extruder (first try was without the reset to new lenght it printed a large blob and had some grinding). I just found out that there is a plugin merge at z that possibly does what I did by hand.

Yes you can probably use the SwapAtZ plugin for this.

For the vase part where you only need one pass you can create a full solid and apply spiralize it will have the same effect (just an outer shell)

I need to try this SwapAtZ plugin an see how it works. Since I did it with an editor I can see in the gcode if it does the right thing. Using this 2 steps I have been able to get a successful result.

It's easy to use.

You create a gcode and save it to the disk.

The you slice you object another time with the gcode you want at the beginning of the print, the in the plugin you choose at which height you want to switch to the other gcode by selecting the saved file and voila.

You even can see the changes in layer view :)