Print temperature settings

nigel-johnson

Posted · Print temperature settings

Hi I'd like propose a change to the way temperatures are set when using an Ultimaker2. Currently they are defined per material but I do not believe this is the right place for that.

Temperature defined the flow rate based on the materials ability to absorb the heat energy. Material then, has a 'resistance' to absorbing heat. Naturel PLA/PHA from ColorFabb has a lot less impurities and additives than the same material in white so resists heating less. This can be as much as 5 degrees in my testing.

The required flow rate is actually defined at print time, when I know the speed and quality I want to print at. For example.

Printing at 10mm/s I can print naturel PLA/PHA at 195C

Printing at 40mm/s I need to print the same material at 215C

If I print Naturel at 10mm/s and 215C I get a load of ooze and a very messy print

Printing at 10mm/s in white PLA/PHA I need to use 200C

So my suggestion would be to enable base temperature control in the Cura interface. I'd also suggest a delta override in the material.

For example, in Cura I want to print at 10mm/s and 195C. In the material I use Naturel, PLA/PHA with no Delta. I can also add a PLA White with a 5C delta. This means I can control the print temperature when I define the actual print, and then the material defines any adjustment required.

This also reduces the number of materials I need to define, and given there appears to be an 8 character limit for a material this also means I don't need to use codes.

Comments/thoughts/suggestions?

Maybe you can use the TweakAtZ plugin do tweak those parameters (if i understand well you want to set the temp in the slicing and not on the printer).

Basically you could have a setting for PLA let's say 210°c and let the first layer print at that temp, then use the plugin to set you prefered temp

Or maybe i understood it wrong?

Setting the temperature as a function of the speed is something I'm going to work on soon. As the more we push our printers, the more this is needed to be done in a logical way.

Anything similar in this feature already in the firmware?

It is specifically commented out in the UM version of the FW.

//automatic temperature: The hot end target temperature is calculated by all the buffered lines of gcode.

//The maximum buffered steps/sec of the extruder motor are called "se".

//You enter the autotemp mode by a M109 S<mintemp> B<maxtemp> F<factor>

// the target temperature is set to mintemp+factor*se[steps/sec] and limited by mintemp and maxtemp

// you exit the value by any M109 without F*

// Also, if the temperature is set to a value <mintemp, it is not changed by autotemp.

// on an Ultimaker, some initial testing worked with M109 S215 B260 F1 in the start.gcode

#define AUTOTEMP

#ifdef AUTOTEMP

#define AUTOTEMP_OLDWEIGHT 0.98

#endif

@Didier, You understood mostly correctly, it's the first layer of the raft I'm having a problem with, not the actual print. The print comes out (and is printed) exactly as expected and configured. I may play with tweakAt, but I guess it would be set the temp to 235, then tweakAt 0 back to 195 for a 10mm/s. THe only problem would be the first thing it printed would be all over the place until the head cooled sufficiently... unless tweakAt takes into account the raft?

@Daid, thanks for adding AutoTemp to the feature list, but is auto temping something that can realistically be done, or would it a couple of tries to fine tune it by the user and then just set a temp/speed profile. Auto temping, and I guess human setting would get flummoxed if you did a 40mm/s infill and a 20mm/s shells. Maybe profiles in Cura are the way to go? where you define speeds and temp and then apply these in the slicer?

@Daid, thanks for adding AutoTemp to the feature list, but is auto temping something that can realistically be done, or would it a couple of tries to fine tune it by the user and then just set a temp/speed profile. Auto temping, and I guess human setting would get flummoxed if you did a 40mm/s infill and a 20mm/s shells. Maybe profiles in Cura are the way to go? where you define speeds and temp and then apply these in the slicer?

AutoTemp is something that can be done. But it needs 4 parameters:

minTemp, maxTemp ©, minFlow, maxFlow (mm3/s)

Now, autoTemp won't be the way to go always, but for "preset" materials like PLA, ABS, and other stuff that we're testing, I'm sure we can do it quite fine.

...and...why not just leave that the data inserted in the slicing setting just override any other predetermined setting???...maybe I don't have time for to fill all the info needed for to create a new material, or the piece that I want to print, needs some change in speed, nozzle or bed temp.....wouldn't this make life easier ??