Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
henri

iSense Scanner software

When it came out I bought an isense scanner,

I would never have thought of buying a cube printer, even though they seem to be good machines, I join the rest of the world in disliking proprietary cartridges of plastic filament.

I later found out that the Structure sensor appears to have the same capability at a lower price. I thought possibly the software might have been part of the difference in price. Now I know, with a mild sense of resentment, that I was wrong. I struggled mightily to get any usable results from the scanner, thinking that the difficulty was my own clumsiness in rotating around the the person I was trying to scan. I was resigned to the situation when something came along and changed it completely. A software app appeared called itSeez3d. It comes from Nizhny Novgorod ,which seems an exotic location, although I read that lots of computer activity is centered there. This free software is just infinitely superior. I made a usable scan within 10 minutes on my second try. The next scan, which my wife made of me was worth a trial print using the high-resolution format. The minor imperfections on the surface look as though I have been modeled by the sculptor Jacob Epstein. This totally changes my relationship with my purchase. I sent a note of appreciation to the site and got a polite acknowledgment from Alexandr.

Henri

I have now to amend the complaint above. I tried out the structure scanning software,after finding out that it worked on the iSense, and it worked and looked good. I also found another one called Model cluster, and it worked well too. All these three look a bit similar, as though the underlying engine or algorithm were the same.

To close the loop, I went back and retried the cubify isense software, and now it works just as well, and also with a similar appearance.i think there must have been an automatic update. Later on in the process the isense software has some useful features. So come back, all is forgiven. I take back the implied criticism.

I looked at your gallery, while the idea of the sense scanner is great, the resolution is still severely lacking for my taste,

I really hope high resolution 3D scanners will come down in price :)