Changing bay on RUMBA motion controller for Extruder Stepper Driver

skibum326

Posted · Changing bay on RUMBA motion controller for Extruder Stepper Driver

I have a Type A Machines Series 1 3d printer. I've recently been having trouble with the extruder stepper motor twitching but not spinning. After testing everything I could think of (changing pot voltage on the stepper drivers, replacing stepper current drivers, etc. I think I've finally isolated the problem). After swapping my extruder stepper driver with the z axis stepper driver, the z axis still works, and the extruder still doesn't work. So my conclusion is that the problem has to do with the RUMBA board, specifically the bay where the stepper driver connects to the board.

Because there are 6 bays on the RUMBA controller, only 4 of which need to be used, is there a way in the MARLIN firmware to change the bay for the extruder stepper driver?

Here's the link to the exact firmware this printer uses:

[www.typeamachines.com]

(specifically: Series 1 (2014 with G2 [Needle-Based] Hot End) )

Here's a link to the RUMBA board:

[reprap.org]

I hope I've provided enough detail here.

Kind Regards,

Austin

As a reference, I also posted this question on the RepRap forum:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?147,478980

yes. One of the Marlin source files is called pin.h. This file is extremely straight forward and clear and easy to edit.

Compiling Marlin is a bit more complicated - here are my instructions:

Basically you download and install arduino ide:

http://arduino.cc/en/main/software

Then copy the sanguino software as explained in README file. Open Marlin.ino file in Arduino IDE by double clicking it (not pde file as stated in README - I think that's old). Select board as "Mega 2560" as explained in README file. Go to "file" "preferences" and select "verbose output" so you can find your hex file. Then build it by clicking the check box in the upper left corner. At the bottom you will see it compiling Marlin. At the end of this it says where the hex file is. If you are currently connected to your UM through USB you can just click "file" "upload" and you are done! But you should locate that hex file and save it somewhere along with the Configuration.h file used to create it so you can recreate the same version with maybe one change. Also you can upload the hex file using Cura in expert menu.

Alternatively you can build Marlin with somewhat more detailed step by step instructions the command line way (which I don't prefer):

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/05/03/building-marlin-from-scratch/

Awesome! Thanks for the help.

As a follow-up I have one more question. I'm struggling to figure out which pins to change to. The RUMBA schematic doesn't seem to match the pins currently specified in the marlin firmware:

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/2/24/RRD-RUMBA_SCHEMATICS.png

#define E0_STEP_PIN 6

#define E0_DIR_PIN 7

#define E0_ENABLE_PIN 17

Thanks again.