Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
prather

Power switch problem

After using my Ultimaker for the first couple of times, the power switch failed to disconnet power. I deceded to fix this later, as I could disconnect power by unplugging the power supply.

Well, later is now, and I want to fix the switch. Any recommendations for replacement switches, or other ideas?

Sometimes. I realize that the arduino and some lights are powered from the usb. The problem is definitely the switch. The 19V power stays on continually unless I unplug it. The switch doesn't even feel like its working, ie. I don't feel a "click" when I switch it anymore.

Someone replied to this problem a couple of months ago, but I lost the message. I think it has to do with how the switch is mounted on the board or something.

It's the switch itself, it's rated 2A, which is about the current flowing when the heater is on and the steppers are powered. So it's quite prone to failure if you have bad luck.

You can get switches in any form and size, getting an extract replacement would be quite hard. But if you feel like having some fun, you could replace it with a rocket safety switch:

http://www.reichelt.de/Kippschalter/GUA ... ARD+R17-10

Just make sure it's rated for a minimum of 2A and you'll be fine.

It's not just the rating of the switch (though I agree it is underrated). The physical mounting of it on the board is problematic as well. At least I read that the problems were due to the mounting - to me it just seems like it's a cheap switch. The problem described here is extremely wide-spread though. I had it for a very long time until I learned the trick to fix it. Put the switch into a 'middle' half way position and push down HARD on both sides at the same time. The switch should 'click' back into place like a dislocated shoulder. I've had it 'dislocate' a few times and stick in the on position now and this trick get's it working again.

Cheers,

Troy.