Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
dirtix

Choppy line

Hello Cura community,

I've been testing with the Builder Large mono printer and the Cura slicer. The printed model looks alright but there are a lot of areas where the software seems to skip.

If you look at the pictures, you can see that the software doesn't let the extruder cover the whole surface layer. When it's nearly at the end, it already starts to go to the next layer. This causes the final product to look a bit crap at those sections even though the other parts of the model look great. Does anyone know what causes this? Thanks!

Screenshot print 2

Screenshot print 1

When it's nearly at the end, it already starts to go to the next layer

I'm not sure what you mean. The pictures didn't help much. Maybe you could circle a problem spot?

Do you mean "starts to go to the next area"? Or "layer"?

Repetier host allows you to highlight just one line segment or a set of consecutive lines. Maybe using that feature would help point out the problem spot when you post the next picture.

By the way - looking at your pictures, it looks like your model has many more triangles than needed. This means there are many more line segments than needed. You might want to "decimate" (remove some extra triangles) before slicing. Lots of software can do this. Here's an article about it:

Meshlab:

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/polygon_reduction_with_meshlab