UM1 and UM+ getting the timing pulley set screws just right?

peetersm

Posted · UM1 and UM+ getting the timing pulley set screws just right?

during assembly can you share any tips you have on getting the set screws for the timing pulleys to line up just right? By "just right" I mean so that when you use the calibration sticks you can see all 4 of the set screws at once. (with both X and Y directions there are 8 set screws in total to adjust)

What I have been doing:

1. (per assembly manual) leaving all the pulley's set screws loose while you are roughing in the XY frame and extrusion head.

2. make the timing belts as loose as possible by removing wooden part C and opening the slider block belt clamps.

3. placing the calibration sticks....seeing which pulleys have visible set screws and tighten the visible set screws.(maybe only 1 of the 4 depending on luck)

4. remove the calib-sticks, then move the head until one of the non-visible set screws comes into view, then try to rotate that pulley to match the tightened one. This is difficult since even now the belts are a bit snug, so I often need to use the 2mm driver in the set screw to force the pulley to jump some teeth in the timing belt until I can get the pulley matched up, then tighten that pulley's set screw.

5. repeat until all 4 set screws are lined up, then repeat the the other 4 in the other direction.

while repeating steps 4&5 up you must be careful the extrusion head does not fall out of the loose slider blocks.

SO is there anything I can do earlier in this process to help? like maybe line up the two pulley's set screws on the 1st axis and tighten them before adding the opposite 2nd axis? and maybe lining them up at that time too? will that save me any fussing later, or does adding the extrusion head move things around so much that tightening the timing pulleys really needs to wait until later as the assembly manual suggest.

thanks for any helping hints you might share.

Posted · UM1 and UM+ getting the timing pulley set screws just right?

I make an effort to have each pair of sprockets lined up when slipping the belts on. Now that my new gt2 sprockets have two set screws each, it is a lot easier.