MetalFill (Bronze, Copper, Glow and so on)

esteban-pacheco

Posted · MetalFill (Bronze, Copper, Glow and so on)

Hello Forum, i've got a few spools of metalfill (bronze and Copper) i have been reading about nozzles literally completely worn out after a few hours printing. Someone has experience using this materials? on one side i've got trustfully People saying some of those materials are dangerous (copper), others are ok (bronze), on the other side i have representatives of a Company saying all metalfill is ok... i really want to give the materials a try, but im not so sure... all i want to do is to print and be happy...

thanks...

EP

Yes I have tried a few of these and some can wear them out quite fast. I would recommend getting an Olsson block from 3dsolex found here: http://3dsolex.com/

Forum discussion here: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7689-custom-heater-block-to-fit-e3d-nozzle-on-ultimaker-2/?p=71735

Then you can replace the nozzle easily and use steel ones for more abrasive materials.

If you are referring to Colorfabb then yes I have used numerous rolls of bronze with no problems so far. If one day the nozzle starts to wear... then who cares i`ll buy a new one... but so far so good :) They are great materials.

Thanks Labern, Thanks Skint, for your answers I've created this Topic to exchange facts, theres (or i haven't found) very little info in this forum about this issue.

@ Skint: Say, how long have you been printing with Bronzefill? do you also have a brass nozzle?

Esteban, I use the standard nozzle and I have printed probably 50 hours using Bronzefill and I don`t change any settings from standard PLA, so 60 degree bed, 210 temp, 50mm/s typical.

I`m assuming that I will have more trouble with the teflon coupler way before I see any degradation to the nozzle head.

Thanks Skint, im planning to print something big (like 250 hours) so thats why im asking... you know... i don't wanna be changing Nozzles too often, not because of the price, but the time you need to expend to change it...

I know the Olsson block cost more, but this does give you a lot more options. cheaper replacement nozzles if they do wear and only takes a few seconds to swap them out. you also can have different sizes for either more detailed print or really fast print using the 0.8mm nozzle.

Hey Labern, good morning (here) I've senn your link, what about the print Quality? oozing for example?

Its very good. I did get some extra stringing but I have changed so much lately I'm not sure if it was the nozzle. this was easily fix with different retraction settings.

Does mean you can print things like this with .04mm layer height and .5mm wall thickness.

Drill done

The nozzle does sit lower then the original so the cooling fans are a bit high. Im working on a fix for this and there are a few others as well.

Labern: so your solution is still "work in process" (talking about the cooling fans)?

Yes it is. there is this one on youmagine https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-fan-shroud

but i feel that the exit holes are 2 small for the fans used.

Laber: Wow thats a really small drill! I saw that poste in other blog! And it works! Great!

Now i know what im going to, ill test with the standard bozzle, and if sonething happen, i change to the one you recomended!