Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
esteban-pacheco

MetalFill (Bronze, Copper, Glow and so on)

Hello Forum, i've got a few spools of metalfill (bronze and Copper) i have been reading about nozzles literally completely worn out after a few hours printing. Someone has experience using this materials? on one side i've got trustfully People saying some of those materials are dangerous (copper), others are ok (bronze), on the other side i have representatives of a Company saying all metalfill is ok... i really want to give the materials a try, but im not so sure... all i want to do is to print and be happy...

thanks...

EP

Yes I have tried a few of these and some can wear them out quite fast. I would recommend getting an Olsson block from 3dsolex found here: http://3dsolex.com/

Forum discussion here: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7689-custom-heater-block-to-fit-e3d-nozzle-on-ultimaker-2/?p=71735

Then you can replace the nozzle easily and use steel ones for more abrasive materials.

Esteban, I use the standard nozzle and I have printed probably 50 hours using Bronzefill and I don`t change any settings from standard PLA, so 60 degree bed, 210 temp, 50mm/s typical.

I`m assuming that I will have more trouble with the teflon coupler way before I see any degradation to the nozzle head.

I know the Olsson block cost more, but this does give you a lot more options. cheaper replacement nozzles if they do wear and only takes a few seconds to swap them out. you also can have different sizes for either more detailed print or really fast print using the 0.8mm nozzle.

Its very good. I did get some extra stringing but I have changed so much lately I'm not sure if it was the nozzle. this was easily fix with different retraction settings.

Does mean you can print things like this with .04mm layer height and .5mm wall thickness.

Drill done

The nozzle does sit lower then the original so the cooling fans are a bit high. Im working on a fix for this and there are a few others as well.