A few problems....

keukpa

Posted · A few problems....

I've been having some problems with my Ultimaker 2 still, I'm trying to stick with this printer and get it working, I've had some good successful prints, and some not so....

I have a few issues and hope people can provide some tips...

1) I've head people saying to put the filament on the floor....what does this do? Do you remove it from the spool? Or just put the spool on the floor?

2) My feeder keeps skipping, this happens when the printer is about the start printing, and happens a lot meaning the start of the print has no material...and it happens in places throughout the print. How can I reduce this?

3) I'm getting a LOT of stringing, when the head moves to the next spot it leaves a line right across the print....

my settings are:

PLA (direct from Ultimaker) black.

Printing at 210C and 220C and 230C, 230C reduces the skipping the most

Speed: REALLY slow, I can't get it to work faster than 40mm/s so everything is 40 or less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Keukpa

1) not sure what youre talking about

2) Skipping as in there is resistance? or skipping as in it isn't pushing the material. are you using the correct width filament?

3) stringing can be solved with lower temperatures. 210c is the default temperature. or you can enable filament retraction while printing.

5aaff9223fc77eb7a47fd6f30fcc68b7.png

Hi :)

Putting the filament on the floor is usefull to me if you have filament that isn't provided on a spool (like Faberdashery), you put it on a lazy susan it helps reducing friction.

For UM filament you can use it on the standard spool holder.

Feeder skipping, can be caused by various things... Most common issue is partially clogged nozzle, i'd advice you to clean it with the so called atomic method

If you spool is close to the end the bending of the filament can also cause extra friction that will cause skipping (this is also called under extrusion)

To reduce stringing, retraction is mandatory, also reduce temp as much as possible, you can also increase travel speed to 250mm/s

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips DidierKlein,

I tried the 'atomic' method and managed to remove the bits of plastic, however, my extruder motor is still skipping backwards....how do I solve this?

Printing PLA @ 240C stops it, but this drastically increases stringing....

Do I 'tighten' the extruder motor grip to stop this? Currently it's a 'lose' as possible.

Regards,

Keukpa