Narrow the top edge of extruded text

Posted · Narrow the top edge of extruded text

Completely new to 3D design so idiot proof answers greatly appreciated.

I'm aiming to print a stamp to be impressed into a soft-ish material which is based on some calligraphic text. I've been able to simply extrude the text (using photoshop or any basic 3D tool) and this works OK but I'd like to narrow the top edge of the extrusion to give a finer detail to some of the narrower parts of the font.

Can anyone recommend a tool and process that would allow for the importing of a flat image, extrude and then narrow the top edge of the extrusion (kind of like pinching the top to form a triangular prism but for a swirly shape as opposed to a square/rectangle).

I hope that makes some sort of sense, my lack of appropriate vocabulary is hurting me with describing this!

Hi DannyT

I could recommend 123D Design from Autodesk. It's pretty easy to use and free software. In it's newest form, you can extrude any Text rather easy and then add a bevel / chamfer on the top. But this does not allow for simply importing images. It requires either a path (svg) or a proper font.

Also chamfering the top of complex shapes is not allways easy with 123d Design but I am sure you would get there... ;)

Maybe someone else, easier process?

Martin

Thanks for the suggestion Martin, I tried with 123D but it seems the chamfer is just a set 45 degree angle (it's also applied on an edge-by-edge basis which with a complex shape takes forever). Great suggestion though, closest I've found so far.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd be grateful or if there are other more suitable forums I'd love to know some.

Cheers,

Dan

I just tried in Rhino. Extruding the text using ExtrudeSrfTapered may work for you with the proper Draft Angle.

5a330dda1e957_ScreenShot2015-05-17at8_10_31AM.thumb.png.bbcff1d3e3c6c18126ecf6458b282817.png

The top text is a standard ExtrudeSrf.

The bottom text has a taper.

5a330dda1e957_ScreenShot2015-05-17at8_10_31AM.thumb.png.bbcff1d3e3c6c18126ecf6458b282817.png

Hi DannyT

... there is also another option in 123d Design that might help you.

1. extrude the text as normal.

2. with the top face selected extrude again, choose to create a new body and you will have a round modifier, drag handler that can be used to adjust the angle of the extrusion (taper). Attached a picture of what I mean:

danny_exttapper.thumb.PNG.904fa1ee078b98edfbddbff91a5d6535.PNG

3. set desired angle and press enter

This method also keeps your taper seperate os you could delete it and start over.

Remark, this is certainly pretty easy to do in BLENDER. It's a rather complex BUT free tool and you can do just about anything with it...

Best Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin, can you clarify "choose to create a new body", I can't seem to find a setting for this?

Many thanks for your perseverance!

I just tried in Rhino. Extruding the text using ExtrudeSrfTapered may work for you with the proper Draft Angle.

The top text is a standard ExtrudeSrf.

The bottom text has a taper.

I'm not familiar with Rhino but will take a look thanks for the tip!

Hi Danny

sure, If you look at the picture I posted, when you extrude for the second time, check the little box beside the degrees (-25° in my case). If you click that, while extruding, you can select to create an extrusion that: Merges (default), subtracts, intersects OR that would Create a new body. select that and then turn the degrees modifier.

Get it? Sort of hard to explain without the tool... :)

Martin

...and bye the way. You don't HAVE to select new body / solid! You can also do it in Merge mode. But I seem to remember that you need to do it for each face seperatly... not sure. But anyway, also with this method, it will be rather hard with complex shapes...