Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

prof_west

Member
  • Content Count

    9
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Understood. Although I really must stress how important it is that you try and make 3rd party users feel important, rather than just being relegated to the 1% as suggested by Nallath. Reiterating my personal 3d printing 'journey', I started with an Ender 3, and out of all the slicers I tried, Cura worked the best/easiest. This positive experience with Cura on a 3rd party printer directly lead me to buy an Ultimaker S3. Subsequently, my advice to others built on this experience has directly lead to at least four other S-series purchases. If PrusaSlicer had worked better with my Ender, all those
  2. First reference I could find quickly, on these very forums: https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/14211-cura-faq/ "Which 3rd party printers are supported by Cura? A complete list of supported 3rd party printers can be found here." There are also several notes about not offering technical support for third party printers. I don't think that suggesting the software is 'not broken' really qualifies as technical support, your definition may vary. And look, I appreciate that 3rd party printers might not be the #1 priority on a day-to-day development bas
  3. Fair call, that was completely unnecessary and I apologise. You should talk to your marketing guys, because 'support' is explicitly used in relation to third party printers. Marketing again. The 'Easy to Use' tagline doesn't really jive with expecting people to jump on Github or install Beta versions. In any case, thanks for the fix. I'll upgrade when the fix makes it to the production version.
  4. I'm the same, I had configuration files from 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6 on this PC. It is easy to try it for yourself. Move all of the folders from "C:\Users\*your username*\AppData\Roaming\cura" to a temporary directory. Restart Cura 4.7. When I did this, it ran fine. But if I restored from backup, it would start crashing again. If I deleted the 4.7 profile data, put the old profile data back, then restarted 4.7, crashing again. Something in 4.7 is terribly broken when it tries to use the old profiles. So, I figure choices are stay with 4.6 for now and wait until 4.7
  5. I think the problem is that every time Cura 4.7 restarts, it re-grabs the profile data from 4.6 or earlier versions. You have to delete *all* your profile data from previous versions before restarting Cura 4.7, and only then will 4.7 run properly. Needless to say, losing all my carefully curated profiles is *completely* unacceptable, and I have dropped back to 4.6.2 until Ultimaker gets their crap together and fixes this ridiculous problem.
  6. Just another update on this...... I'm going through lots of different print settings, learning the new machine, trying to optimise speed vs print quality. One thing that was really confusing me was that Cura was setting the line width so narrow in the default profiles. For example, the Generic CPE profile I started with for AA 0.4 print core has line widths set at 0.35mm for outer walls and top/bottom, and 0.3mm for inner walls. Cura, and all other advice, has always set the line width as equal to or greater than the nozzle size. So I just started a print with all line
  7. Just as a point of comparison, I printed the same STL using my Ender 3, eSUN PLA+, a CURA profile matched as closely as possible, on a battered and bruised magnetic sheet bed. The results from the Ender are baby-bum-smooth in comparison. You can still feel the slight roughness on the edges of each line, but it has none of the extreme banding and up-and-down undulation perpendicular to the lines. I am sure there is something fishy with the results from the S3.
  8. Thanks for the feedback. I'm genuinely surprised that this might be normal. Running fingers over it, there really is a *lot* of height variation, and I find it so odd that the effect is so localised, so well patterned, and so consistent between prints. After months cutting my teeth on an Ender 3, I've never seen anything like this, unless I had something very wrong - plate height completely, poorly calibrated flow, gross over-extrusion, that sort of thing. I do use glue stick, but I dissolve it in a spritz of DDH2O then smooth it down with Kimwipes to get a super-thin s
  9. Howdy folks, I'm just starting to get a feel for a brand new Ultimaker S3, with only about 15 prints on the board. I had some very successful test prints (Calicats, Benchies) last week, so this morning I threw together a super-quick design in TinkerCAD (no other software on this computer!) just to test something a little more technical. And the printer is producing some very, very odd results, on the first layer, and I'm not sure why. As you can see from the photos, there is a very strange banding/layering on certain areas of the print. Far worse than the other thread t
×
×
  • Create New...