Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mfknjohn

New to the 3D Printing World, Looking for help.

So we have had our Ultimaker 2 Extended about a week now, it has blown everyone away out of the box but after a few prints things are working out the way we would like. Sometimes prints are amazing, like the test Ultimaker Robot was nice, a few horrible overhang edges but otherwise well done. Now we are moving into prototypes for work and some edges and faces are just looking horrible. If anyone has any idea as to what I might be doing wrong please feel free to let me know, I would greatly appreciate any help received. I have attached some pictures to get a better understanding of the issue.

IMG_20150526_071405.thumb.jpg.3b91569ead71e4bcdd92cbd5cd753e49.jpgThe Top side of the part looks great, the sides are smooth and not too much stringing, but the bottom just looks like garbage.

IMG_20150526_071405.thumb.jpg.3b91569ead71e4bcdd92cbd5cd753e49.jpg

That's just how one would expect it to look like, since that area is where the supports were.

If you need all the surfaces to look clean, the number one rule is do not use supports. Split your model into two or more parts to avoid using supports, add locating holes on all mating surfaces, print separately and assemble, popping some filament into the locating holes. Use superglue as an adhesive.

If you upload your model I will show you what I mean.

That's just how one would expect it to look like, since that area is where the supports were.

If you need all the surfaces to look clean, the number one rule is do not use supports. Split your model into two or more parts to avoid using supports, add locating holes on all mating surfaces, print separately and assemble, popping some filament into the locating holes. Use superglue as an adhesive.

Yea I've been tinkering with some settings as well, the speed the extruder travels when making infills, does that pertain to quality as well? while i watch it, it seems it misses a bit when extruding filament. Not sure if that is supposed to be like that since its just supports that are being made. Would you like me upload the .stl file as well?

Here is a link to my dropbox with the .stl file..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjkixzqcy79qpee/PORT.STL?dl=0

Print it with the holes facing down on the bed. You will still need supports for the inside, though. You can cut it into more pieces to avoid supports altogether, such as making the tube on piece, and print that vertically.

It's a tricky part, though. You might want to design it differently to make it easier to print.

• Like 1

Print it with the holes facing down on the bed. You will still need supports for the inside, though. You can cut it into more pieces to avoid supports altogether, such as making the tube on piece, and print that vertically.

It's a tricky part, though. You might want to design it differently to make it easier to print.

Okay now I see what you mean, this is just a prototype before sending the part out for production so im sure this will work, and i agree with the part being tricky, quite a pain actually.

Im going to try to print the part the way you suggested and i'll upload the result. Thank you for the assistance.

I had the same problem. i solved it by changing the gap between the real print and the support. This gap is usually 0.15mm, i changed it to 0.05. the support still comes of pretty easy, but the lines that are on the bottem of the print look way better then before.

Yea I ended up switching to simplify 3D so i could manually place supports where i thought only necessary, also I started printing with the nozzle end down and that seems to work so far, especially on the circular spots. I also just straight up SLOWED things down.