Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
tekknik

No clean Surface

Hi

I have some issues with my prints. Why do i have problems with the surface when the hight of it is not so big.

When the surface is higher there is no issue. Sorry for my english dont know how to describe. Please look at the image. The Print got printed flat on the printplate like shown on the picture

thx alot

IMG_2807.thumb.jpg.f4e63eed584277be17d09bf30ca20dd5.jpg

The area in the "not ok" shows typical underextrusion. You are extruding only about half as much filament as needed. I can't think of why it would be worse on the bottom - whatever the problem was it fixed itself. Perhaps there was some filament that got ground up and created a flap that was stuck in the bowden or the filament was tangled or perhaps you did something in the TUNE menu?

The most common cause of underextrusion is printing too fast or too cold.

Here are top recommended speeds for .2mm layers (twice as fast for .1mm layers):

20mm/sec at 200C

30mm/sec at 210C

40mm/sec at 225C

50mm/sec at 240C

The printer can do double these speeds but with huge difficulty and usually with a loss in part quality due to underextrusion.

Hey tekknik,

Layerhight 0,04 mm ist very narrow to print. Can cause trouble due very high pressure in the Nozzle.

On which temperature do you print ?

Schichtstärke 0,04 mm ist sehr gering und potenziell immer Schwierigkeiten durch zu hohen Druck in der Druckdüse. Bei welcher Temperatur druckst du das ganze ?

You still seem to have quite heavy underextrusion.  Like 50%.  That's pretty severe.  On the bottom layers.

I have no idea what kind of settings "high quality" is.  It changes from version to version anyway in Cura.  I suggest you try this:  35mm/sec (or slower) for ALL printing speeds (infill, shell, everything).  150mm/sec (or faster) for travel moves.  Full fan.  210C.  .1mm to .2mm layers. Brim.  Bed at 60C.

Edited by Guest

By default I think Cura sets the infill to print much faster.  If you are printing thick layers (.2mm) and cool temperatures ( <220C )  then it could be that your infill is heavily underextruding and the printer doesn't recover at the walls because it has ground the filament up to powder.  It may take a few layers of much-less-infill to recover.  This is one possible theory.  Another theory has to do with the fan coming on very slowly.  Except I would have expected the opposite - bottom layers better. Another theory has to do with the heat from the bed - what temp do you use? but again I would have expected the opposite (warmer layers extrude more nicely - although maybe what I'm seeing is not underextrusion and the photo is just not close/detailed enough).

Edited by Guest

one question, the temperature for the bed is to set up in der ultimaker directly. is'nt it? I Have to look but i think i have around 60-62. Another question ist 0.1 or 0.2mm not a bit to thick for good looking objects. Because ulti quality is at 0,04mm.

it looks like it is building no outer shell. but only in this small area.

IMG_2807.thumb.jpg.e267477f2e9349d26d6ce2391ea73b82.jpg

IMG_2807.thumb.jpg.e267477f2e9349d26d6ce2391ea73b82.jpg

one question, the temperature for the bed is to set up in der ultimaker directly. is'nt it? I Have to look but i think i have around 60-62. Another question ist 0.1 or 0.2mm not a bit to thick for good looking objects. Because ulti quality is at 0,04mm.

it looks like it is building no outer shell. but only in this small area.

Yes, temps and retraction are set directly in the "material profiles" in the printer. For the buildplate 60° is a bit high, but i won´t go deeper than 55°.

No, 0,1 isnt too thick, your object has no curved surface so the layers are only build on each other, so you will see only a little difference in comparsion to 0,04mm. The layerhigh is more important at objects such as a busts, sculptures or this

https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/view/90-the-109-hour-ultimaker-original-print

Edited by Guest

I suggest you try this: 35mm/sec (or slower) for ALL printing speeds (infill, shell, everything). 150mm/sec (or faster) for travel moves. Full fan. 210C. .1mm to .2mm layers. Brim. Bed at 60C.

THX GR5, Your settings are amazing. Its not only a lot Faster but also much nicer. Crazy shit. Faster and better is perfekt. iam stoked

IMG_2820.thumb.jpg.793c02d9de8a6f3a02f18b514fa1b63e.jpg

IMG_2820.thumb.jpg.793c02d9de8a6f3a02f18b514fa1b63e.jpg

Edited by gr5

Wow!  Big difference.  I don't like to go below .06mm layer height.  Strange things can happen when you go below that. I think it was a combination of thin layer height with changing speeds.

Edited by Guest