UM2 makes gap always in same height

Posted · UM2 makes gap always in same height

Hello,

I got my UM2 for some days now, and with all prints there is a gap always in the same height:

Screenshot_15_06_15_09_55.png?dl=1

Screenshot_15_06_15_09_57.png?dl=1

Here is a STL file and

Calibration Item

here how it is printed:

Screenshot_16_06_15_09_23.png?dl=1

Screenshot_16_06_15_09_24.png?dl=1

Cura is all set default with High Quality. Temperature PLA 200 Degrees C. Bed 60 Degrees C. PLA Original from Ultimaker.

Who can help?

Thanks.

I have the EXACT same problem! Have been reading everything on it, and have tried all sort of things, but so far, still the gaps at about the same layer height. I have a set of Stepper motor/helical screw and nut coming as replacements to see if this fixes the issue, or it is back to the drawing board.....very frustrating to say the least....hopefully I can report back with some good news after replacing these parts, or else this thing will go back.....

• 1 month later...

We have had exactly the same problem as well! We were told to format the SD card, change it for another and to update the firmware. All of which we did and to no avail. We are still having the same problem as you and always at the same point. We have tried to print starting at different heights on a block for example but always get the same problem. Let me know what works for you.

I have 3 theories:

1) Filament tangle. Whenever I get these lines it was because of a filament tangle but if always happens at the same height it's not that.

2) nozzle cools suddenly due to fan - by default I believe the fan comes on gradually and at 5mm it is at it's strongest (100%). This probably isn't the problem either as the difference between 90% and 100% fan is too small to make a difference.

3) Z stage - something wrong with the Z stage - usually either the thick 8mm rods, or their bearings, or the z screw or the z nut. But look around - the filament spool holder on the back of the machine can stick through the machine and get caught up on the Z stage. This is obviously the quickest/easiest thing to check first.

Ultimaker will send you new z stage parts (one at a time) if you keep bugging them long enough about this.

I have 3 theories:

1) Filament tangle.  Whenever I get these lines it was because of a filament tangle but if always happens at the same height it's not that.

2) nozzle cools suddenly due to fan - by default I believe the fan comes on gradually and at 5mm it is at it's strongest (100%).  This probably isn't the problem either as the difference between 90% and 100% fan is too small to make a difference.

3) Z stage - something wrong with the Z stage - usually either the thick 8mm rods, or their bearings, or the z screw or the z nut.  But look around - the filament spool holder on the back of the machine can stick through the machine and get caught up on the Z stage.  This is obviously the quickest/easiest thing to check first.

Ultimaker will send you new z stage parts (one at a time) if you keep bugging them long enough about this.

After sending the printer to Igo3D for maintenance, they told me that Z stage is ok, and I must be a filament issue. They printed a mini cal target fine. I installed

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/low-friction-um2-spoolholder

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/and-another-um2-feeder-design

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-bearing-filament-guide

And now the issue nearly vanished.

Kind regards,

Markus

• Like 1