Temperadura nozzle cuts the filament. Strange noise

Jeanvor

Posted · Temperadura nozzle cuts the filament. Strange noise

Hello my friends. is my first time here in the forum . I am Brazilian and my country there is only twenty-three UM2 . I have no information here , so I need your help . I have my UM2 will three months and always been very happy with it , but now she's got a problem I can not solve . Soon after the start of printing, the nozzle cuts ( breaks ) the filament in a way that seems to be cut by over heat. At this point comes a melted PLA bubble and takes a few seconds for the filament exit to leave. This makes to lose the print layer and the part is lost. Another strange thing is this video noise she is making . It seems to be screwing somewhere. Please, I need your help . .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPN2Ole_Zhc

The sounds it is making sound normal to me.

It looks like it stops extruding towards the end - or extrudes very little.

As far as underextrusion causes - there's just so damn many. none of the issues seem to cause more than 20% of problems so you need to know the top 5 issues to cover 75% of the possibilities and 1/4 people still won't have the right issue. Some of the top issues:

1) Print slower and hotter! Here are top recommended speeds for .2mm layers (twice as fast for .1mm layers):

20mm/sec at 200C

30mm/sec at 210C

40mm/sec at 225C

50mm/sec at 240C

The printer can do double these speeds but with huge difficulty and usually with a loss in part quality due to underextrusion.

2) Isolator - this is most common if you've printed extra hot (>240C) for a few hours or regular temps (220C) for 100 hours. It warps. It's the white part touching the heater block. Test it by removing it and passing filament though it by hand.

3) Curved filament at end of spool - if you are past half way on spool, try a fresh spool as a test.

4) curved angle feeding into feeder - put the filament on the floor -makes a MASSIVE difference.

5) Head too tight? Bizarrely MANY people loosen the 4 screws on the head by just a bit maybe 1/2 mm and suddenly they can print just fine! Has to do with pressure on the white teflon isolator.

5b) Bowden pushing too hard - for the same reason you don't want the bowden pushing too hard on the isolator.

5c) Spring pushing too hard. Although you want a gap you want as small as possible a gap between teflon isolator and steel isolator nut such that the spring is compressed as little as possible.

6) clogged nozzle - the number one problem of course - even if it seems clear. There can be build up on the inside of the nozzle that only burning with a flame can turn to ash and remove. Sometimes a grain of sand gets in there but that's more obvious (it just won't print). Atomic method (cold pull) helps but occasionally you need to remove the entire heater block/nozzle assembly and use flame.

7) feeder spring issues - too tight, too loose

8) Other feeder issues, one of the nuts holding machine together often interferes with the feeder motor tilting it enough so that it still works but not very well. Other things that tilt the feeder motor, sleeve misaligned so it doesn't get a good grip. Gunk clogging the mechanism in there.

9) Filament diameter too big - 3mm is too much. 3mm filament is usually 2.85mm nominal or sometimes 2.9mm +/- .05. But some manufacturers (especially in china) make true 3.0mm filament with a tolerance of .1mm which is useless in an Ultimaker. It will print for a few meters and then clog so tight in the bowden you will have to remove the bowden from both ends to get the filament out. Throw that filament in the trash! It will save you weeks of pain

9b) Something wedged in with the filament. I was setting up 5 printers at once and ran filament change on all of them. One was slowly moving the filament through the tube and was almost to the head when I pushed the button and it sped up and ground the filament badly. I didn't think it was a problem and went ahead and printed something but there was a ground up spot followed by a flap of filament that got jammed in the bowden tube.

• Like 1

hello . I made attempts but nothing solved the problem . Got the record right now that the filament is cut ( broken ) did 3 times in the video. Always had great quality , can see in the photo the iron man . I would have something else to pack ?

11358763_734071473370676_1131842204_n.thumb.jpg.a6279041b89b0ea7abbc0759e2a505be.jpg

11358763_734071473370676_1131842204_n.thumb.jpg.a6279041b89b0ea7abbc0759e2a505be.jpg

Hey man, I'm brazilian too (can't talk in ptguese around here at this section), and didn't quite understand what's going on (your videos are out of focus =/ )

If you could post something in portuguese and make a better quality video and post at the "other languages" section:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/languages/other-languages

Fernando

• Like 1

You got some water on your filament. Remove the filament and make sure it is dry. When the very small drop of water gets in the head it boils and pushes out some filament quickly until the head is empty and then nothing comes out until all the steam is pushed out.

Gr5 it would be nice to make your post as a sticker somewhere. I covers many many of the current post around the forum.

It does? I've never seen this issue before - this is the first video I have seen of it. Please provide a link to another issue with the water and steam. If you can find 2 people with this issue I will try to get it into IRobertI's guide.

It does?  I've never seen this issue before - this is the first video I have seen of it.  Please provide a link to another issue with the water and steam.  If you can find 2 people with this issue I will try to get it into IRobertI's guide.

where can I find this guide @gr5 ?