High Impact Polystyrene (FormFutura)

ArmandtG

Posted · High Impact Polystyrene (FormFutura)

As to background, I work for an architecture firm and we have a house with a reasonably complex footprint (not overly so). We wish to do a basic white 3D print in HIPS for the clients. We selected HIPS rather than PLA as it seems HIPS has a smoother final print finish and requires less finishing than PLA.

I am having difficulty with adhesion of FormFutura HIPS 2.85mm on my Ultimaker 2. I have tried using the supplied glue stick, as well as Wolfbite from Airwolf 3D (for use with ABS). Also I tried on a freshly cleaned printing bed. All my efforts failed. I considered using painters tape on a cold bed but I am unsure whether that will succeed as the HIPS requires a very hot print bed as per the specs on the manufacturer website.

Does anyone have any experience printing with HIPS? Are there any suggestions you can make to make to improve adhesion? I would really appreciate any assistance the community can provide.

If you print in ABS you can smooth it nicely with a vapor of acetone. It comes out very smooth.

I have never printed in HIPS and don't know anyone who has. Blue tape works fine hot or cold but make sure you wipe it clean first with isopropyl alcohol. The tape comes with a thin waxy layer to prevent the tape from sticking to itself so you need to remove that before printing on it. It comes off with very little work - just a quick wipe with alcohol soaked tissue or cotton ball.

I think it's HIPS that clogs very easily in the nozzle. Make sure not to leave it in there long with a hot nozzle - basically you want to print on the fast side of things to keep the HIPS from clogging due to the heat. I could be wrong as I'm no expert - just repeating something I heard.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will definitely give the blue tape a try. We were trying to do the prints in HIPS for one other reason than the smooth finish. While with PLA you would have to prime and paint to get the models in full colour, with the HIPS you would actually be able to colour the model with Copic markers directly after printing which gives great control and is much simpler. We have since decided to use a matte acrylic spray coating over PLA prints and still use the Copic markers (I will post the results, if you like). I am still dedicated to the HIPS as a material and I plan to do a lot of experimentation until I get it just right. HIPS seems just too good a material to only be used as fill and washed away with limonene.

Thanks again for the help, and as a newbie to 3D printing I am glad to see the Community is so involved.

Good day to you,

I agree with the beauty of HIPS. It has a nice -matte, -paper, cardboard look. I tried several settings and solutions.

Adhesion at the platform works for me on 80 degrees, nozzle temp 235 degrees.

I use only the ordinary glue stick, just a little bit more than with PLA.

It might help if you make a cut out in the floor. A big floor of the model on the platform might give problems and the model comes of the buildplate before it is finished.

Also it might help if you adjust the moment that the fans go at a 100%. In Cura expert settings you can higher up the moment that the fans should go at full speed.

Finally, I cover the printer with a towel and at the front I have a piece of plastic. This to prevent cold air coming in and interfere in the wamth.

Even it could matter if you have the printer running already for a while or if you start with a cold printer. Basic rule; big temperature differences might interfere your printing job.

Also layer adhesion can give problems, due to the same reason as written above.