Gcode for travelrate and print rate

wout

Posted · Gcode for travelrate and print rate

Hi,

Since I got my Ultimaker I have been using ReplicatorG to print but today I started using PrintRun (pronterface for osx). I like it but there is no option of changing the travel rate like in RepG. I can send some code to the printer, though what would be the code for travel rate?

Hi,

Since I got my Ultimaker I have been using ReplicatorG to print but today I started using PrintRun (pronterface for osx). I like it but there is no option of changing the travel rate like in RepG. I can send some code to the printer, though what would be the code for travel rate?

M220 Sxxx sets the speed (S100 is 1x)

M221 Sxxx controls the extrusion rate

I don't want to derive you from Printrun, but perhaps you could take a look at Slic3r.

If i am not mistaken it offers the option to give different speed settings to bridges / non print travel speed / first layer speed and perimeters.

You could check it out :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I have been using Slic3r to generate gcode from within ReplicatorG. But can it also be used to drive the printer and monitor the printing process?

Thanks for the suggestion! I have been using Slic3r to generate gcode from within ReplicatorG. But can it also be used to drive the printer and monitor the printing process?

no, the print function is mostly separated from the slicing function in most apps. printrun is only for sending gcode to the printer, and controlling it.

Cura is a modern frontend for SF (slicer), is bundled with printrun, but is a bit tricky to get it running under OS X. it also includes a direct print function, but it is more limited than print run. another alternative slicer is kisslicer.

M220 Sxxx sets the speed (S100 is 1x)

M221 Sxxx controls the extrusion rate

Today I tested M220 and it works fine for the overall printing speed but what I need is the travel rate. With travel rate I mean when the print head has to move from one point to another. I tend to set the travel rate to at least 300% in order to avoid unwanted bridging as much as possible.

UPDATE

Found what I was looking for, a complete index of all codes: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

UPDATE 2

For those of you who want to know this code did the trick for me:

M205 T300

UPDATE 3

A higher acceleration nearly completely eliminates bridging:

M201 X3000 Y3000

Cura is a modern frontend for SF (slicer), is bundled with printrun, but is a bit tricky to get it running under OS X. it also includes a direct print function, but it is more limited than print run. another alternative slicer is kisslicer.

I managed to install Cura on OSX without too much hassle and I will try it tomorrow when my current print is ready. Thanks for the tip!