My 2015 Presentation at Fabcon Erfurt Germany. What I learned from the Ultimaker forum development. Good and Bad.

ian

Posted · My 2015 Presentation at Fabcon Erfurt Germany. What I learned from the Ultimaker forum development. Good and Bad.

My 2015 Presentation at Fabcon Erfurt Germany. What I learned from the Ultimaker forum development. Good and Bad.

Enjoy...:)

PS... yes I have eaten a few too many donuts the last 12 months ! ;)

Ian :)

• Like 5

Posted · My 2015 Presentation at Fabcon Erfurt Germany. What I learned from the Ultimaker forum development. Good and Bad.

Is there such a thing as to many donuts?

Well, at least you didn't loose your artistic touch and sense of humor ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, very good! This should be mandatory viewing for everyone at Ultimaker, especially minutes 8:30 to 11:00. You hit the nail on the head over and over again. Thanks.

I feel like with the new CURA we are seeing the same mistakes you highlighted about how poorly the new forum was handled. I'm very worried for my beloved UM company repeating the same mistakes so close together in time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great talk! I can see the Ian passion is no less to last time we saw each other! Good thing you embedded this here, so many more people could now watch this than were in the room.

I think you make a lot of good points about the importance of a community to a company. Thanks for sharing your experiences from Pixpast and Ultimaker. Only thing that you didn't mention is that it's really motivating for the people in your company that the people in the community aren't just order ID's but actual people you can interact with. It's not just the other way around.

I also appreciate how you remind us to not repeat our mistakes. We certainly need to. But don't think we aren't learning. Anyone has to be able to make mistakes to learn, otherwise you stand still. And standing still means becoming irrelevant. Learning from other people's mistakes is the only thing that works even better.

Also, I really like how you made the drawings. I started appreciating good drawing skills now that my little daughter is born, but I still have to do it more to become better at it. In that sense it's not different than 3D "drawing". Practice makes perfect!

Take care!

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys for the nice words.

I just ordered the big Extended ultimaker 2 for my new Company.

So you might see me a Little more on the Forums from now on :)

Ill never loose my love for ultimaker !

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the nice words.

I just ordered the big Extended ultimaker 2 for my new Company.

So you might see me a Little more on the Forums from now on :)

Ill never loose my love for ultimaker !

Ian

Would love that!

I can imagine the forum looks quite different than what you are used to.

If you want a helping hand to get around here you can find some information about what is what.

thanks guys.

lovely to see you chaps again. :)

Ian

• Like 1