Print bed only goes down

Dalemaunder

Posted (edited) · Print bed only goes down

Hey guys,

Last night I finished assembling my Original+ and plugged it in to start calibrating it, but when I fired up Cura and went to calibrate the Z axis sensor the bed just dropped several centimetres every time I pressed a move button, regardless of if it was an up or down button. I don't think the motor is struggling because when I pressed the up button while applying upwards pressure to the underside of the print bed with my other hand it forcibly pushed my hand downwards.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't provide a video or pictures but I thought I'd ask before I leave for the trip home in case anyone knows of this issue and/or how to fix it, if not I can start answering troubleshooting questions when I get home.

Edit: Thought I should add, I'm using Cura 15.04 as recommended for first time setting up the printer.

Edited by Guest

Either it *always* goes down or the directions are backwards.  Hopefully the later.  Let's figure out which and then fix the problem.

To figure out which you need a way to move it both up and down and see if it's backwards or if it always goes down.  There may be a way to do this in cura or from the ulticontroller - not sure.  But if it were me I would try pronterface.  It's a free download here - you connect to the printer with a USB cable and move it small amounts - you don't want to break the glass.  1mm or 5mm is plenty:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

Once you know which (always down versus backwards) I'll tell you what to do next.  Also please mention what country you are in within your profile settings as parts and other things depend on the country.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Print bed only goes down

Either it *always* goes down or the directions are backwards.  Hopefully the later.  Let's figure out which and then fix the problem.

To figure out which you need a way to move it both up and down and see if it's backwards or if it always goes down.  There may be a way to do this in cura or from the ulticontroller - not sure.  But if it were me I would try pronterface.  It's a free download here - you connect to the printer with a USB cable and move it small amounts - you don't want to break the glass.  1mm or 5mm is plenty:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

Once you know which (always down versus backwards) I'll tell you what to do next.  Also please mention what country you are in within your profile settings as parts and other things depend on the country.

While using the bed levelling wizard in Cura, if I press either of the up or down buttons it always goes down and by an amount much larger than what I told it to, yet this morning when I was fiddling with the Ulticontroller for a few minutes before I left for work I discovered that its auto home option raises the bed just fine(actually a bit too high, need to lower my Z switch, whoops), which leads to the assumption that it's something wrong with my Cura install, not with the printer.

I'll give Pronterface a try when I get home tonight, cheers.

But if you home it from the controller it should go *up* to home, not down. If it's moving the wrong direction then one of the motor's wire pairs could be backwards (check wiring versus the other steppers) or you have the wrong firmware or something like that.

But if you home it from the controller it should go *up* to home, not down.  If it's moving the wrong direction then one of the motor's wire pairs could be backwards (check wiring versus the other steppers) or you have the wrong firmware or something like that.

That's what I  mean, through the Ulticontrollers auto-home it raises correctly, but through Cura it doesn't. I'll be home in 3 hours to do more testing with Pronterface, it seems like it's just an issue with Cura.

Edited by Guest

I thought you said the opposite. I think a video at the start would have explained this all better. I've never used Cura to control a UMO+. I'm not sure that's still supported officially. What if you print using the SD card? I don't recommend using Cura to level your machine. Just home (z only) with the ulticontroller and adjust the leveling screws such that the head just barely touches on 3 spots near the 3 leveling screws.