printing small text on side of a 3d print - looks like more code/braille ??

MC123

Posted · printing small text on side of a 3d print - looks like more code/braille ??

I have been getting a few prints via the 3dhub and on one of the design there is text on two sides, the text prints on the side of the model as its printing soif you imagine the letters being printed from the bottom up (rather than as a layer on the top at the end of the print).

One of the layers which is at 90% to the x axis does this great and the letters come out very clear even at 0.5mm deep. the other plane is 30% off - text printed here is a smaller surface area and I tried to print something a little smaller and it just looks like morse code/braille.

It was printed at 100 micron, do you think I'm just asking too much of the printer or is there a knows "thing" with 3d printers and printing text, I even tried increasing it to be 1.5mm - 2mm high and the same outcome, any ideas ?

Thanks

Posted · printing small text on side of a 3d print - looks like more code/braille ??

I sujest you use cura to 'see' how the slice process your text. It takes error/test to see the minimum size you can print with a 0.4mm nozzle. Also emboss works better than bevel. Just because it's easyer to make a hole of somethig than using a 0.4mm nozzle to make letters. But it's doable

Text can do strange things, especially when small font. If the font is smaller than the nozzle, then you can get 'Braille'. I found that text on the front of an object is fine, yet on the back can be illegible, the two sides are equal In quality. A close inspection of the Cura file is vital with text.