Printing Supports for a large print

MajesticSeaCow

Posted · Printing Supports for a large print

Let me start off by saying I'm relatively new to the world of 3D printing so I do apologise if this question has been asked before.

I just got a Ultimaker 2 and this machine is amazing, I've only done a few little easy prints, but I want to move on to bigger things. I found a file for an ant man mask and I really want to print it, but before I do I wanted to know about support towers.

I've attached a image of the file and as you can see there is alot of over hangs. On Cura I have selected the enable support box I just was wondering is that it? Do I just select that box and then let the printer do the rest?

Cura.thumb.png.1a44e75780e09ddb54a53f9d656e0b47.png

It hasn't added any additional supports to the file so which is why I'm worried about printing it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cura.thumb.png.1a44e75780e09ddb54a53f9d656e0b47.png

Posted · Printing Supports for a large print

ALWAYS look at your part in layer view before printing it. It will show the supports there.

I would flip it over - the quality of the surface will be much worse on the downward facing portion of your print so that's where you want the parts people are less likely to see.