Surface finish over support structure

Reggie

Posted · Surface finish over support structure

Hi there,

I've recently been having issues with the support structures while printing parts at work. The support structures have become very difficult to remove and the surface finish of areas that are supported by the support structures has become highly uneven as you will see below:

DSC00087.thumb.JPG.ced619ab2d04f37bedd03d6b4e349bd2.JPG

DSC00088.thumb.JPG.6ce0564b4764284e6efbbf6edf998147.JPG

This issue has only started recently, on parts we have previously printed successfully, and on both of our ultimakers, therefore I am assuming it must be one the settings that has been changed in CURA that has caused the problem... but I'm not sure what it could be.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

DSC00087.thumb.JPG.ced619ab2d04f37bedd03d6b4e349bd2.JPG

DSC00088.thumb.JPG.6ce0564b4764284e6efbbf6edf998147.JPG

Which version of cura are you using now and do you know what version you were using before? Fortunately installing a newer version doesn't remove the older version. Also all the older versions of software are accessible from the same page you would download the latest cura from.

I recently installed a more recent version of cura from the website 15.06.01.

We were originally using a version that wasn't running the new uranium framework, 15.01 I believe.

I'm not sure if it's the update itself that has caused this or if it is one of the apprentice's at work changing settings on the preferences to be quite honest.

Every gcode file that you create with Cura has the settings used at the end (encoded). So NEVER DELETE these!

You can determine the settings several ways. The first step is to clear your platform so there is nothing to slice then do "load profile from gcode..." and load in the gcode file you want to know the settings for. Then you can either look through the settings (as all cura settings get updated at that moment except for possibly "machine"). Or you can then do "save profile" and it saves to a text file so you can do a comparison with a "diff" tool such as winmerge.