Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
berndjm

For the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS users

I got a little bit annoyed about the situation for us Ubuntu users who stick (for which reason however) on the LTS Version.

... I'm pretty sure we are not going to support a 1 1/2 year old ubuntu release, even though it is a LTS release ...

So I played a little bit around and managed to get the new Cura installed.

Disclaimer:!!!although all the following worked on my machine with now noticable damage so faryou try it on your own risk!It's possible that you damage your paket-management and/or your system!!!!

Add temporary this source to your package-sources:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu vivid main universe

Install the cura-package - with the above source it can satisfy the depenencies

Remove (or diasble) the above package-source direct after the cura installation, otherwise your package-management will try to do a unnecessary (partial) dist-upgrade.

Voila ... the newest cura is running under the "so old" Ubuntu LTS Version.

But wait ... here comes the next glitch:

Starting - ok

Loading a stl - almost (more about later *) ok

Layerview - nope

Looking at the "Engine-Log" shows the reason:

The CuraEngine needs the "libprotobuf.so.10" - puuuh

Even in the newest Ubuntu is the highest you can get "libprotobuf.so.9"

After some more hours of research I found a hint that this libproto-stuff was bundled with the 15.06.01 version but is no longer in the 15.06.02!

So unpacked the 15.06.01 local and copied the needed files to the correct places:

all the files starting with lib* you find in /usr/lib

the folder /google you find in /usr/include (don't know if this is realy necessary?)

Done ... :D

* loading .stl files:

at the moment with "all supported types" and "stl files" only .stl files where recognized but no .STL files :(

you have to switch to "All Files" to although see this files.

Hope this helps somone, but don't blame me if you damage something (see the disclaimer above)

P.S.: for the Linux-Mint 17... users - not tested, but there is a good chance that it worked for you too

• Like 1

Thank you nallath.

I can very well understand your problems with a thin staffing level.

Nevertheless with my "dirty hack" I hope I didn't missed something.

What I mean: is a strange behavior a real bug or is it caused through my hack ?!?

And what you should really have to rethink is the bundling of this libprotobuf stuff.

As far as I've read so far this bundling causes problems for peoble who have already installed some developement stuff. I think this is not the major party of the users - and this (the minor party) people should have the know how to handle this. For the other "normal users" it's a "pain in the ass" to fiddle this out ...

Nevertheless with my "dirty hack" I hope I didn't missed something.

What I mean: is a strange behavior a real bug or is it caused through my hack ?!?

I don't know. I've never seen it before, so its probably caused by something in your system. Could be because of the hack, could be because of other system settings.

And what you should really have to rethink is the bundling of this libprotobuf stuff.

As far as I've read so far this bundling causes problems for peoble who have already installed some developement stuff. I think this is not the major party of the users - and this (the minor party) people should have the know how to handle this. For the other "normal users"  it's a "pain in the ass" to fiddle this out ...

Yeah. This is caused because we do a bit of a nasty; we use a development version of protobuf. We needed features from protobuf 3, which is in late development.

This problem should go away with time though.

If you have any questions or want to help more with Cura, feel free to drop me a message.

Hi,

I have to install Cura under Ubuntu to use ur new Ultimaker printer.

I had done the first step described here. After adding the APP I ran apt-get install cura-engine

But what is the executable name / location ?

How to launch Cura to test this first step ?

Thank you.

Benjamin

I have to install Cura under Ubuntu to use ur new Ultimaker printer. I had done the first step described here. After adding the APP I ran apt-get install cura-engine

But what is the executable name / location ? How to launch Cura to test this first step ?

The command to locate the path to an executable is:

$ which myprogram

/usr/bin/myprogram

The command to locate the placement of the contents of a Debian package is:

$ dpkg -L mypackage

However, with the approach decribed above, chances are good to severely damage your operating system. The correct approach to mix two releases would probably be apt-pinning. However, apt-pinning works only with properly built packages, and as far as I understand the hack from above, not even that would suffice to get cura running on Ubuntu < 15.10.