Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
TManiaci

STL File Size Limit in Cura Import?

I am finding that my Cura installation will not import files greater than 500MB. That is not an exact number, but it's in that range.

Is there a limit?

I have design files that are not terribly complex, and with moderate STL resolution output parameters, the files are easily over 500MB.

I am running version 15.04. The later version had issues, and I noticed there were numerous postings here reporting similar problems, so I down-graded back a version to get working.

I'm sure there's a limit but I personally don't know what it is. I'm curious though, what does the model look like? I've been printing stuff for three years and I think the largest file I've used was around 150megs and that was overkill considering the resolution of the printer.

We don't have a hardcoded limit, but dear god 500 mb is a lot of verts. Most computers will choke on that even if it loaded.

The windows version is 32 bit (for 15.04), so that will limit the memoery that can be used. Mac and linux don't have that problem.

Sorry, I didn't get email notice when replies were posted.

I resolved the issue by down-scaling the resolution of the part STL file export. Anything over around 450MB seems to lock up the interface. Not very happy with that, part quality is definitely compromised.

I am modelling some complex contoured parts with tons of details. The parts are designed for tooling, and include draft and other tooling related design aspects that complicate the model.