ultimaker original extrusion issues

yoveo

Posted · ultimaker original extrusion issues

hello ultimaker community

I have an ultimaker original for now almost three years. I have made several upgrades to it and until very recently it has been one incredibly fine and precise machine and I have had a so much fun and productive time with it.

now suddenly extrusion doesn't work at all. I have had similar issues before, mostly gone since I installed the upgraded nozzle construction. it is incredibly hard to extrude filament, even by hand. first I thought it might be the bowden tube. this happened to me before; brittle filament blocking smooth movement within the bowden tube. so I removed the bowden tube and tried to feed filament directly into the nozzle. it was still almost impossible. so I decided to remove the nozzle and take it apart, just like I sometimes had to do with the original nozzle. but even without the ptfe couple movement was still really hard. I then took the nozzle apart completely and cleaned it. I could see through and couldn't find anything obstructing the filament movement.

I have now reassembled the nozzle, everything fits tight and is assembled as it should be. so I just tried to feed new filament into the nozzle but still didn't have any luck... I would say I'm quite an experienced ultimaker user and I have to say I kind of am at the end of my possibilities. does anyone know what could be the problem? could there be a problem with temperature? cura displays the correct temperature, but maybe the sensor is broken?

did I miss anything, what else could hinder the filament from extruding? again, the problem is definitely somewhere around the nozzle...

thank you so much for any advice!

best regards

yves

did you feed the filament by hand or turning the wheel on the back?

can you try to push the filament through by hand without locking the feeder on the back?

Can you check the little black wheel in the locking part on the feeder? If it is turning freely and has no damage?

hi peggy

thanks for your reply. yes, everything described above is without the feeder, pushing the filament in above the print head by hand.

Just to be sure. (For what you say you already check this). Ptfe isolator coupler deform? Brass heat barrel inside the peek in good condition? No previus leak from coupler or nozzle/barrel that could go carbon and make solid overtime?

hi neotko

as far as I can tell:

- ptfe isolator in good condition, I can't see any deform, but will check again

- brass heat barrel seems to be fine, although it's not shiny brass anymore (normal I guess?)

- no previous leak, I installed the new nozzle maybe 6 months ago, no problems so far

Have you do an external test to see how really hot it's the nozzle. Maybe, just maybe, the heat sensor says one think but the heat it's different. I think @gr5 use to post that for um2 users but I can't seem to find his posts. It's one about moving a pla peace near the nozzle to see how it reacts or something about placing a water drop to see if it boils and banishes.

Posted (edited) · ultimaker original extrusion issues

I think I should test that. maybe I can find this post. one maybe important detail: I tried to increase temperature to see if that would help. Is it normal to get a max temp error at 275°C?

edit: I just checked, this is indeed the maximum, so this shouldn't be a problem

Edited by Guest

Maxtemp it's by marlin limit. But that still doesn't mean the heat reading are accurate. Ofc if everything else fails could be the barrel to be with burned material overtime and making your filament to stick at somepoint.

I would try to take out the nozzle and pass filament. Ofc do it manually so you can avoid the huge cleaning on the aluminium block. But first check the temperature to see if it it's really heating.