Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
starjeff

Solidworks and Windows 10 compatibility

Hi guys,

Just a quick post about Solidworks and Windows 10.

For those who want to switch their operating system : careful.

If you have SW2014 (and inferior), it WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED ON W10.

SW2015, however, seems to work fine.

From SW website: SW2015 SP5 (release date october 2015) will be the first to officially support W10

• Like 1

Oh no. I have SW 2014 Academic and upgraded to Windows 10 last week.I wonder if it will run?

I don't think it will. I tried to reinstall mine and launched it in compatibility mode w7, W8, W8.1 but it didn't work. Since you upgraded it w10 anyway, try to launch it. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

And Ms wonder why millions of people are still on xp and win7

They don't wonder, They know. That's why they keep previous OS for as long as possible. They don't force you to change... for now.

At some point, they will but it's understandable. Like with XP right now. Software developpers and Microsoft agreed that it was time to move on so they shut it down. It was too outdated and technology was moving too fast for this OS.

New OS are always sources of problems with CAD softwares. I guess it has to do with how the datas are being processed or else (I'm no computer engineering so i'm only guessing).

That being said, i still strongly feel that they should stop making new OS every other year...

And Ms wonder why millions of people are still on xp and win7

They don't wonder, They know. That's why they keep previous OS for as long as possible. They don't force you to change... for now.

At some point, they will but it's understandable. Like with XP right now. Software developpers and Microsoft agreed that it was time to move on so they shut it down. It was too outdated and technology was moving too fast for this OS.

New OS are always sources of problems with CAD softwares. I guess it has to do with how the datas are being processed or else (I'm no computer engineering so i'm only guessing).

That being said, i still strongly feel that they should stop making new OS every other year...

yet they offer the free upgrade for 1 year to people happy with 7 and 8, yet us on systems that we want to upgrade (vista, shudder) they are abandoning us :/