Ultimaker printing speed lies?

Martinio1o

Posted · Ultimaker printing speed lies?

I have a question, because I'm a bit confused.

On the ultimaker website it says the ultimaker printer speed is ajustable from 30 - 300 mm/s,

but in the program Cura, I can only set the printing speed to a maximum of 150mm/s. (More than 150 will make the box go yellow). I am new to 3d printing, and I was wondering about this.

Is this an error on the website? Or in Cura? Or is something else the matter?

Hope someone can help me with this.

- Martin

You can print faster if you do thinner layers. Try it in Cura. Hover over the yellow and it will tell you the volume per second of filament you are trying to print.

In practice though if you want thinner layers then you probably want higher quality. And if you want higher quality then you want to keep it under 40mm/sec anyway.

Another option is to go with a larger nozzle - say a 1mm nozzle and print at 300mm/sec with that.

Also because the head is very light on the UM2, the acceleration is very high - I think 5000mm/sec/sec is default. Whereas most printers have the extruder on the head and the max accel is closer to 500mm/sec which is 10X slower for prints that are small or don't have long straight movements because they never get up to full speed.

Anyway - go look in this area to see the quality of the UM2. For speed just get a larger nozzle:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/1467-post-your-latest-print?page=338

Start at the above link and scroll backwards looking for photos - every once in a while you will see a print that will amaze you.

Yellow does not mean that you can't do it, it simply tells you; "Well, yeah, you could do it, but unless you know what you are doing it will probably go wrong"