Plugin Development

markwal

Posted · Plugin Development

I'd like to try my hand at a bit of Cura 15.06 plugin development. I've got a good start from nallath's examples, but I'm wondering if I can run Cura from source in-place to make debugging them easier. Any pointers?

• Like 1

Nice to hear that people are developing plugins!

I assume you found these resources?

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/wiki/Creating-plugins

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/wiki/Backend-&-Plugin-structure

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/wiki/Plugin-Types

I just noticed not all of them are fully up to date, but they cover most of what you need to know.

With regards to running it from source, you're best of running it from the 15.06 branch (as that is the release branch for 15.06, it only has bug fixes). On 1st of september we will go into feature freeze for 15.10 and release the open beta for that version. We did quite a few changes for 15.10 (re-worked the output device code for instance!), so you might want to wait a bit for that.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you tag me in a post It's pretty much guaranteed that I read it.

OK, I was able to build both 15.06 and latest on ubuntu. It took a little goofing around since I think the build script has gone stale (it specifies -D's that are not actually used by the current makefiles, for example). I got it to run by moving the result files to where they seem to be needed to load. I didn't update the build script since I just fixed things manually.

I could PR fixes to the build script, but perhaps I'll wait to do that until after 15.10 since the output path is where I intend to work. For example, for upload to OctoPrint on save.

I did get a simple save plugin to work with the 15.06 output model.