3D visualisation vs 3D printing

neone

Posted · 3D visualisation vs 3D printing

Hi all,

day two with this amazing machine (so far so good), and I start to notice the difference between 3D visualisation, and 3D printing already.

I notice a lot of stl problems while modeling, and start to see the difference between a setting up a nice render and setting it up for 3D printing.

At the moment I spend most of my time on the statistic view instead of just having a nice look to things :)

Things aren't just the same, I start to realize that now. But old habits die hard and I'm almost all the time stuck with a model with mistakes when trying to print it.

Anyone else with similar adaptation problems (past or present)? 8)

It took me a while to change how i designed to suit 3D printing better and I'm still learning.

Depending on your models, sometimes i can be best to chop it into parts to eliminate overhangs etc.

You will see a lot of people here who print figurines im multiple parts then glue them together. Valcrow's Lightsaber is one example. There are 2 models, one prints in one piece but the quality is low, the the other in 14 pieces. which gives really good quality.

• Like 1

I've taken up 3d design and 3d printing at the same time, so i guess that for me it's easier.

When i design something, i always have 3d printing on my mind, i try to adapt my designs to be easily printable, avoid overhangs and supports.

I think that it can take sometime when you're used to "just" 3d modelling. You need to rethink your design process and think about how it will print, it will save you a lot of time and headaches :)

• Like 1

I think that it can take sometime when you're used to "just" 3d modelling. You need to rethink your design process and think about how it will print, it will save you a lot of time and headaches :)

Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking. My modeling skills were purely orientated on the visual aspect in the past, with now many problems into trying to convert it into stl and a printable object.

I really need to rethink almost everything to get a good stl out of it now.