SD Card not seen by my computer

beezerdesign

Posted · SD Card not seen by my computer

Hi,

I just got my new Ultimaker 2 - super excited!

I've printed a couple of the sample models from the 4GB SDHC card that came with the machine, so I know the SD card is working. I then put the SD card into my PC's SD card reader (running Windows 7), but the SD card never shows up in my drives list. I've gone through some general SD card troubleshooting forums, but with no success. Just to check, I inserted the SD card I use with my camera (32GB SDHC) and that reads just fine.

Does anyone know if there is something about the formatting of a Ultimaker SD card that makes it tricky to read in a standard SD card reader? Is there some workaround or fix for this?

Update:

As I continue to brows forums for a solution or workaround, I see that there is also no reliable way to print from Cura throug the USB cable? So without the SD card, what are my options for getting my files to the printer?

Thanks in advance for any help...

If you have access to another computer, friend/family/work, maybe you could try the card there and see if you can get it going that way? If not, ask for a replacement or bite the bullet and spend 5 bucks at your local computer store to save time.

USB printing is not officially supported since it isn't reliable enough, especially on laptops. Loss of power, automatic restarts, buffer underruns etc can all cause a print to fail randomly and ruin hours upon hours of print time. I was "against" using the SD card in the beginning as well since I always used USB on my old UMO, but now I wouldn't go back.

If not, ask for a replacement or bite the bullet and spend 5 bucks at your local computer store to save time.

Thanks for the reply!

I'd gladly run out and snag a new SD card, but so far, I haven't been able to figure out if I would need to format it a certain way to work with my UM2, are there instructions or a forum post somewhere for that? Following that train of thought, if the formatting is the cause for my PC to not recognize the card in the first place, then getting a new card and formatting it will be a wasted effort, so I want to be sure this isn't the reason before running to the store for a new card...