Jump to content

Z-Level Calibration Changes Between Auto Home and Print

Recommended Posts

Posted · Z-Level Calibration Changes Between Auto Home and Print

We have an Ultimaker Original and were experiencing serious stringing issues with printing. At first we believed it was because the bed was not flat. This was the case so we decided to upgrade to a heated bed upgrade kit which solved the issue of the print sticking in some places not others. For the first test print this solved the issue however since then the extruder still comes out extremely stringy and in blobs. We cleared the nozzle out and replaced it with a clean one which did not fix the issue. We then re-levelled the build plate and made sure it was properly calibrated. However when we began printing the distance between the bed and the nozzle changed from when it was homed. We noticed that the plate moved down about 0.5mm.

Is this an issue with firmware or Cura? We tried lifting the the build plate slightly higher but this still did not fix the printing issues. The print comes out extremely stringy, blobs come out every few mm and then string between. Which we believe is an extrusion problem but when we test the extruder everything is fine.

Maybe it is a combination of the two?

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Z-Level Calibration Changes Between Auto Home and Print

If you load a photo of the failed print it may help people solve your issue.

I don't know much about UMO but if you used the heat bed upgrade kit which i gather is similar to UM2's then check through THIS as it may help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Z-Level Calibration Changes Between Auto Home and Print

If the filament exista from the nozzle on a 'non linear way' making curves or tilding to the sides it could be the ptfe coupler generatig preassure. Also on the worse case it might be the hot end isolator barrel (the metal inside the peek). Even if the nozzle it's clean new the barrel it's also brass and the pla/abs can stick and create a dark burned coating.

Take out the peek/barrel and without any need to unscrew it just let it boil on water for 10-20mins with salt and vinegar. But before this... Check the ptfe for deformations and if it's clean do as many atomic pulls as needed to clean the barrel.

If everything goes wrong and the barrel has defects on the metal inside you will need to replace it for a new one since its like the nozzle or the ptfe (a consumable).

I just bought 20 ptfe/barrels to have some spares for my production and it was just 25€ on aliexpress (for all). And they just work.



Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Survey: Understanding your workflow
      Interact with future concepts and aim to collect your feedback and opinion. In particular, if this would/could be a welcome addition to your 3D printing workflow. Interested?
      • 0 replies
    • Coronavirus: Let's do our part
      Through this post I would like to further explain what we are doing, and what you could be doing. 
      Our efforts consist of 2 layers. First; connect medical institutions and hospitals to (local) 3D Printing hubs to help them print parts of which a 3D model already exists. And second, contribute to design the necessary part and then have it printed via a (local) 3D printing hub. Experts are available from within Ultimaker and from within our network of 3D printing experts.
        • Thanks
      • 46 replies
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!