Z-axis not moving

TomDeprins

Posted · Z-axis not moving

Hello,

First let me introduce my 3D printer. I have a custom 3D printer with a Ultimaker 1.5.7 board.

My 3D printer is based on the Ultimaker 2 (design).

Now i have a little problem with my Z-axis. I can move my Z-axis manually via the menu so the stepper motor works. But when i start a print and the z-axis is not homed then it starts homing before proceeding with the print. Once it's homed it stays right there. It does nothing!

I read a lot of auto leveling with inductive sensors and also with a servo with an endstop attached to it which is attached to the hot end but isn't there a way to calibrate it like you have to do with the Ultimaker 2 (with that paper between the nozzle and the bed)?

Anybody who knows more about this problem

What happens if you do a G28 Z0? That should home the z axis only. If that works then try moving to 10mm: G1 Z10

If that works then you probably just need to add the g28 z0 to your gcode file. If you use cura use reprap mode and it should add this but if not you can add it to the "start gcode" section.

I did what you said. The Gcode was set on UltiGcode so i changed it to Marlin Gcode (reprap). But now it moves like 5cm up and then it homes again. When i set G28 to 'G28 60' it moves the Z down and it keeps going even if it's pressing the end stop.

I did what you said. The Gcode was set on UltiGcode so i changed it to Marlin Gcode (reprap). But now it moves like 5cm up and then it homes again. When i set G28 to 'G28 60' it moves the Z down and it keeps going even if it's pressing the end stop.

You shouldn't need to mess with the start code. I think you mean G28 Z0?

So is it a disaster that it homes twice? As long as it prints just fine? Maybe you should post a 5 second video if there is still a problem. "ultigcode" works only on UM2 I believe.

The video you uploaded to youtube is private. Please try again and then let us know by posting anything to this topic.

Posted (edited) · Z-axis not moving

Ow i see it! Stupid youtube app! Changed it! :)

Edited by Guest

Are you sure you want to home at the bottom? If so then I'm not sure how this works - you have to set up a home offset maybe? There was a menu for that.

this machine looks like a UMO and if so then you need to home at the top. It's moving the wrong direction and using the wrong limit switch.

I would test to see if your Z is moving backwards - with Z=0.3 I could see it was printing about half way up - if you move to z=10 it should move the bed down. Does it? I'm hoping it moves the bed up. If so then you can simply swap Z direction (several ways to do that) and swap the end stops.

I noticed in the menu you scrolled through there was something about homing offsets - maybe you need to adjust those? I've never seen that before but that sounds very promising.

Your Z is very very very slow. Very slow. Frustratingly slow. That's why you should home at the top, not the bottom. Or try to run the Z about 10X faster. How many steps/mm is your z axis? Marlin on an arduino should be able to handle something like 60 thousand steps per second without problem so if your steps are say 200 steps/mm on the Z you should safely be able to do 100mm/sec which would allow you to home in 2 seconds at the bottom instead of 30 seconds.

I recommend you get pronterface/printrun (it's free) and mess around with Z travel direction, z movement, z motion settings, z endstop detection and z homing. Download it here:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

IT WORKS!!! Except for the Z-axis which goes down too slow (the nozzle moves into the print after a while so i think i have to change the steps/mm, right?

By the way: thanks for all your help!!!

The nozzle moves into the print? Not sure - again I would install printrun (link in my prev post) and tell the bed to move 10mm and see if it actually moves 10mm and in the correct direction.

If your steps/mm is off e.g. by 2X then parts will be twice as tall or half as tall as desired.

The problem is solved. I had to change the steps/mm.

Now my 3D printer is working just fine...except for the filament that gets stuck in the extruder. But i already ordered a new extruder. Exactly the same as the ultimaker 2. The one i'm using now is a J-head.

Very poor quality. So with my new extruder everything has to work and when i receive it i finally will be able to print...in 2 colors (dual extruder).

I'm so happy now. I almost worked a year at this project and now it's finally done.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help!! :D

• Like 1