Fan mount for Ultimaker 2

Posted · Fan mount for Ultimaker 2

Hello,

First of all, I don't know if there is already a topic somewhere here on the forum with the same discussion. I did some searches but could not find it (which I find strange since I'm not the first one with this question)..

So my question is quite simple. As we all know, the UM2 was designed to fit 2 nozzles. A while ago we all got the news that the second nozzle update will never be coming to the UM2..

That being said, the nozzle is placed to the left and the right fan is further away. This is something that is visible in my prints, the right side of a print tends to warp more due to lack of cooling when printing steep overhangs.

On youmagine I found a few nozzle fan mount upgrades to direct the airflow from the right fan more to the part. Great! But I found quite allot of sollutions. Therefore I want your opinion.. Which one are you using and why? In what material did you print it? I'm thinking of printing it in XT-Copolymer.

Thanks in advance

don't want to blow my own trumpet but...

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/11554-um2-fan-shroud-replacement

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/11554-um2-fan-shroud-replacement?page=2#reply-115795

Note the original fan air flows at 0.6m/s and mine is 2.5m/s

Having the fans horizontal has many benefits. the fans are a lot quieter and it gives them more room for the air to flow.

I printed mine in XT-CF20, but any higher temp filament will do and recommend using Kapton tape or Nomex heat insulator/reflect paper that @neotko recommends inbetween the nozzle and shroud.

• Like 1

@Labern other option (nomex so far works just perfect, no discoloration 1-2mm gap between the nozzle and the paper). But I think for really really long term and wooping 1000C heat reflection, Ceramic paper. It's half the price, and there are some of them that are 1mm thickness. I waiting next week to have one to test it, since I don't know how well it will stick with kaptol or how much flexibility has. But 'on paper' :) sounds cheaper/better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well initial test show ghat this ceramic paper can hold quite good. I did trst also with a bic lighter for 3 minutes (in theory around 800-900C) and it went 'greyish' but it doesn't 'burns'. Also I could touch the paper right after and was at toom temperature (thermal camera showed a spike of 200C on a small area but banished just after the lighter was off).

It costs a full square metter around 30€ (way cheaper than nomex) but isn't exactly paper. It's a 1mm material that fells a bit like cotton and can be broken by hand if pulling strong. It cuts really nicely with scissors and kapton sticks quite ok. I'll do a pla printed part with covering the heat area and check results. One think for sure it deflects the heat better (mainly because it's a 1mm and nomex its more like a sheet of paper of 100grms).