UM2 J20 or J14 for print voltage ? UM2 V2 Board Cooling

Posted · UM2 J20 or J14 for print voltage ? UM2 V2 Board Cooling

Has anyone successfully used either of these jacks for powering a fan ( J20 or J14 ) ?

I'd like to cool the board and am printing a duct to aid in board cooling. I'd prefer to use J20 Fan 19-24V but the only reference I can find is "bad things happen" when you connect to this jack. Nothing specific though ? I know J14 and J15 are being used for laser diodes, I'd just like to run a simple fan, possibly only while the hot end is engaged.

I have both a 12V and a 24V of the same dimensions available to use.

This is what I'm attempting.

Fan orientation:

DSC00556.thumb.jpg.92d775cc42be94b9285a39c5f3fe293a.jpg

Fan duct:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.dc37845bc8a8fd11cb1be3519a3af481.jpg

Thanks.

DSC00556.thumb.jpg.92d775cc42be94b9285a39c5f3fe293a.jpg

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.dc37845bc8a8fd11cb1be3519a3af481.jpg

Posted · UM2 J20 or J14 for print voltage ? UM2 V2 Board Cooling

Ok, cracked open the cover and J14 & J15 are busy with the cooling fans and LED's..didn't remember this part when looking at schematics. So J20 is my current interest for voltage.

• 2 years later...
    Posted (edited) · UM2 J20 or J14 for print voltage ? UM2 V2 Board Cooling

Did you ever get this working?

This is what i did:

I hooked the 24v 1.5 amp blower fan to the j20 (fan 18-24v) plug.

I printed the exact same fan duct , I hooked up the blower fan... i plug in my ultimaker and the blower fan doesn't turn on. I left it on for about 1 minute and still it never turned on. From what i read that 24v plug is supposedly always on if the utimaker is on, so why isn't it working?

In fact it smells like it the fan may be cooked ?

Shouldn't the blower fan turn on the second the ultimaker is turned on?

UPDATE:

I figured this out, the fan or the board (unsure which) had the polarity wrong. I had to splice the fan wire and connect the positive to the negative wire and visa versa , because the controller had the + and neg on opposite sides.

I now have it up and working but man almost had a heartattack thought i roasted my board at first.

Edited by Guest