Custom Head Firmware Update

Posted · Custom Head Firmware Update

Hi,

I just installed an E3Dv6 hotend on my UM2 using this mount https://www.youmagine.com/designs/e3d-integrated-printhead-v1-9. Everything works quite well except a few minor details:

Whenever I start the load material routine and when I start a print, the print head runs into axles because the head is slightly larger in both the x+ and y+ directions. I have spend quite some time googling to find out how to change the firmware to avoid these issues, but I have not been able to find anything useful - could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance,

Gregers Poulsen

There are quite a lot of hard coded positions to consider...

You will find the start position for the change filament menu in UltiLCD2_menu_material.cpp and for "Insert Material" in UltiLCD2_menu_maintenance.cpp,

the x/y-position of the pause function in UltiLCD2_menu_print.cpp and several positions for the buildplate leveling wizard in UltiLCD2_menu_first_run.cpp

If the print area is reduced you can also modify the appropriate values in Configuration.h

A possibly easier solution is to switch over to the tinker firmware - the print area is adjustable without recompiling and it takes care of the customized min/max values for all those positions.

Tinker firmware is great, I'll advice you use it.

When you have extra size in the front or right it's easy to adjust with the new bed size features in this firmware.

When you have an issue at the back or left you'll need to adjust your endstop positions... but then it's easier to use another head...

I tried out the tinker firmware - it did exactly what I needed to fix the problem, thanks for the suggestion! Beside that I must admit that the firmware is in many aspects much better than the original firmware, great job!

With the Tinker firmware can you raise the max temp you can extrude?. I trying for 300C for some high temp filament