Cobwebbing

MonkeyBoysDad

We've had our printer a few months now and have used it quite a bit. Recently it's started to produce quite a bit of fine strands of material whilst printing that resemble cobweb. And in addition its also leaving blobs of material (which I think is when it travels from one side of the print to the other to start either a new layer or more filling in), these end up on the outside face and are really rough. We've changed the nozzle, this has helped a little with the "cobwebbing" but not with the "blobbing". Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ben

Sounds like a stinging issue to me... Here are some questions to clarify more;

Do you have retraction enabled?

What are your retraction settings?

What is your printing temperature?

Do you use print cooling (from a fan)?

What is your travel speed?

You might want to reduce your print temperature, and increase the retraction length and speed.

This will vary from filament to filament (even from the same manufacturer), so be prepared to experiment.

Posted (edited) · Cobwebbing

My personal theory about the Barbapapa effect of the hairs it's that when 'too hot' + 'fans really high' makes the effect used on a cotton candy machine. Specially since pla has some sugar in it (from corn).

Edited by Guest

@neotko, that sounds quite plausible. I have been printing PLA with fans off completely and only had stringing issues when at high temp, no cobwebbing. Worth testing out this theory when I have a moment.

• Like 1