My printer is making a weird noise

Kadows

Posted · My printer is making a weird noise

It is hard to say based on the video.

Is there anything resonating in the machine?

You could test some things, put your finger on them to see if it stops the sound.

My first thought was a bearing, but it doesn't make the sound with every movement.

Looks like when it speeds up?

Could you try to describe at what moments it is making the sound?

It doesn't sound like something to worry about too much, but I understand you want to get rid of it.

I think that's the retract sound + some scratching. Check the 'Delrin clip' (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/delrin-clip-for-ultimaker-original) position when that sounds happens. Maybe check also the feeder wood, that when doing fast movements doesn't scratch other wood parts. I never had that noise when I used the original feeder, but I had some problems with feeder wood warping and hitting other wood parts. Check the 'felling' by moving it by hand (probably with and without filament).

At 00:06 and 0025, those are sounds from retraction... The feeder is running quickly backwards for a short distance, in order to pull filament back into the melt chamber from the nozzle, and avoid stringing and oozing.

The initial "screech" (I always find it hard to explain noises with words), is the actual retraction itself, from the feeder/feeder stepper, and sounds quite normal, I wouldn't worry about that... The folowing tatatatatatatata is during travel, and sounds - Not so normal...

do you always get it when the printer does travels (moves quickly to a new point without printing), or only with parts with infill? Did you try adjusting your travel speed? Do you have combing enabled in expert settings?

Yes, its the "tatatata" that I'm worried about. I cant really single out a specific time when it does it. Its always in the same place in one print, but the printer can make similar movements without the sound. I didn't know about combing, maybe I should try turning it off?

I posted another thread recently showing my weird prints, can this be related to the sound?

tjbg7f4.jpg

Yes, its the "tatatata" that I'm worried about. I cant really single out a specific time when it does it. Its always in the same place in one print, but the printer can make similar movements without the sound. I didn't know about combing, maybe I should try turning it off?

I posted another thread recently showing my weird prints, can this be related to the sound?

tjbg7f4.jpg

Those lines look somewhat like missed steps... I would maybe try to lower the travel speed, and see if you still get the sound and these artifacts...

Does it make the same sounds with a different model?

The models it does have the sound, did you make them yourself and what about the models where it doesn't make the sound?

What filament do you use?

Does it make the same sounds with a different model?

The models it does have the sound, did you make them yourself and what about the models where it doesn't make the sound?

What filament do you use?

I'm using Ultimaker silver PLA.

I have noticed now that the sound seems to appear when the printer starts a new layer and at the same time moves the head a long way. So Z movement + long X and Y movement. Maybe sounds weird, but the printer can do all those movements without the sound but it seems that the sound appears when they are all at the same time.

I did try lifting the extruder assembly off the printer and that did reduce the over all noise of the printer a lot, but the "tatatatata" is still there.