Modify and resell

Posted · Modify and resell

I don't see any reason why this should not be allowed. Even if Ultimaker has a problem with this (which I doubt), you're always free to make modifications to the machine. As the machine is yours, you're also allowed to sell it.

Making machines from scratch, modifying them and selling those as modified Ultimakers would not be allowed though.

What's the plan exactly?

To resell Ultimakers you must sign a contract as official reseller with the local distributor. As a reseller you probably need to sell the machine with factory settings.

Maybe you can add an option to install some modification directly on the machine but to me this has to be discussed with the distributor and Ultimaker

Posted (edited) · Modify and resell

Well, you don't need to have a contract to sell machines. A company / person is perfectly allowed to buy machines in the store and resell those. A reselling contract would probably be smart because of other benefits (discounts, training, etc).

Edited by Guest

Of course but i don't see big benefits in being a machine as a regular user, applying some hacks and reselling it at a higher price, this has only sense if you have a reseller contract

How so? If the person who is doing the modifications is only making money on the mods, this could be a viable business strategy. I agree that it would probably be smarter if he did got a reseller contract (as that would probably allow you to earn more). But all of that is just what is 'smart', not what is allowed (which was the actual question).

But all of that is just what is 'smart', not what is allowed (which was the actual question).

Yes nallath, that exactly the question !

Can I has professional resell Ultimaker 2 modified ?

The question about to be a reseller for have better can be also a good idea too.

Somebody of Ultimaker's staff can answer ?

Thanks a lot for you answer all :-)

Thank you for your post. My apologies for the delayed reply!

Just as any other user you are allowed to sell your Ultimaker after you have bought it from us.

It will be considered as a 'second hand Ultimaker'. Usually, a second hand Ultimaker is covered by warranty if sold within the first year. However, if you decide to modify the Ultimaker and sell it, you and your client are no longer covered by warranty and support from Ultimaker and as a business you will have a responsibility in regards of supplying customer support to your customers.

Ultimaker puts in a lot of effort selecting partners and resellers who understand the brand values and are passionate about 3D printing and the work that we do. As a result they get support, training and better conditions. For that reason there is a very big difference between being a reseller, and selling an Ultimaker.

Thanks SandervG for your answer ! :)

You're welcome!