Sandblasting printed stuff

neotko

Posted · Sandblasting printed stuff

I'm looking for a small cabinet for sandblasting printed stuff.

Anyone has experience with small stations or knows what parts are needed? I suppose a enclosed cabinet + air compressor and abrasive material? Any tip would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
    Posted · Sandblasting printed stuff

Hi, since never said a thing about this post, I'm going to start to post.

This was the info I posted on 'Key tools for post processing'. I'm reposting here so I don't mix posts.

This was an answer to @yellowshark

I got a 4-6bar compresor very compact for 200€. The noise (for a compresor) it's quite acceptable. Also got a blaster gun called air eraser from the same shop as the compressors and drilled the nozzle because with its 0.5mm nozzle the soda wasn't working (it's designed for aluminium oxide) but now with a 1.5mm hole it's ok. Also got a 110€ enclosed cabinet to avoid the need of mask/etc, very nice btw but I need to check the seals since there are two points where it leaks soda.

Any pro will tell you that my compresor sucks for sandblasting, and it's true. This is a 1/2hp 3l tank and it's quite small. That means that I must wait from blast to blast. But also, I don't plan to be blasting all day, but for just a few objects a day while printing, so it's ok.

Now I need to buy non-tonix blast stuff to do more abrasive action, but also for the moment the soda works for the matte effect ans removes that 'printed' felling and it hides the mistakes at the untrained eye (soda so far don't erase the printed lines since its quite soft). Also I'll need to design an adapter for this blast gun, because it can only hold 30mg of media. The blast gun that arrived with the cabinet has a 5mm nozzle, and for that you really need a bigass compresor with a big tank to hold the air.

Oh the brands, sorry forgot... It's a fengda compresor with tank (quite small model 189 something) and the cabinet it's rptools. Quite cheap, nice quality. I been reading and seeing videos about this for 3 months before jumping in. Ofc I knew the compresor was going to be not good enough, but for good non-stop blasting the compresors and tanks are heavy, big and really expensive.

And today I got a bit of time to play with it and show a fast processing. But take note that this was overdoing it, because I was testing a future mod idea.

Used a failed test, used some bluetape to cover and blast it, quite a bit more than needed.

IMG_8825.thumb.JPG.05036572bf7c6b7ed26af43edb3ba88e.JPG

Another angle, to see how the matte kicks-in. The different discoloration it's because I overdidit, (I was testing my feeding tube).

IMG_8826.thumb.JPG.265a6e6d470978f5a3e1e3c602da1890.JPG

This it's my setup, near a window just incase and with this cute small portable compressor.

IMG_8827.thumb.JPG.bcfdcbb5e5425d751ffb052c56e37d02.JPG

And a shoot of the cabinet. You can see the blast gun with a drilled 6-5 ptfe inserted, that I was testing to see how well it worked, and works quite nice, now I just need a quickfit coupling adapter to this Soda containers. I drilled the ptfe tube to get 6mm/5mm, it was a bad 6-3mm ptfe from china, so nothing lost there.

IMG_8828.thumb.JPG.0b744dedeb898b8581f53f84c3f20138.JPG

IMG_8825.thumb.JPG.05036572bf7c6b7ed26af43edb3ba88e.JPG

IMG_8826.thumb.JPG.265a6e6d470978f5a3e1e3c602da1890.JPG

IMG_8827.thumb.JPG.bcfdcbb5e5425d751ffb052c56e37d02.JPG

IMG_8828.thumb.JPG.0b744dedeb898b8581f53f84c3f20138.JPG

• Like 4