UM2 + Ikea Drawer Unit = Compact Printing Station

drofnas

Posted (edited) · UM2 + Ikea Drawer Unit = Compact Printing Station

Hello,

So my wife wanted her folding desk thingy back, which I had been using hold my UM2 and all accessories/filament for it. While browsing my favorite DIY Furniture site, and came across the MICKE Drawer Unit on Casters, checked the dimensions of the top along with my UM2 and BAM, perfect fit. While doing the obstacle course known as the "IKEA Experience ", I also saw some clear drawer liner and picked it up to.

um2-micke-setup-sm.jpg?dl=0&raw=1 um2-micke-drawers-sm.jpg?dl=0&raw=1 um2-micke-back-sm.jpg?dl=0&raw=1

click for images for larger view

The width of the drawer liner was a perfect fit for the top of the MICKE unit, just needed a single cut along the left edge (as it was a longer roll). I didn't want my UM2 to accidentally slip off the top of this unit, hence the reason for this little purchase, plus it clear and looks good.

The bottom drawer can hold 10 Filament spools (approx 8" diameter x 2", same stuff I get from UM and Colorfabb). There is also a center caster to help support the weight of the bottom drawer, since it's meant to hold file folders. I have Loose Filament in the second drawer, and 2 small spools of Taulman filament in the third drawer. The Top drawer is where I keep my misc little tools I used (snips, long tweezers, tooth brush, etc). I wanted to get one of the drawer organizers from IKEA, that fits in the top drawer, but sometimes you just can't seem to find what you want in that place.

Also the depth of the smaller drawers aren't as deep as the larger bottom drawer, so you can't fit 2x Standard Spools in those, but you can fit a Standard Spool plus one of these Mini Spools just fine. Which would mean you can have a total of 13 Standard Spools + 3 Small Spools in this compact little setup, if you just wanted to store filament in the drawers.

Welp, that's it, I hope you like my compact little printer setup.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Posted · UM2 + Ikea Drawer Unit = Compact Printing Station

Do you have the impression it is now louder on this drawer? Otherwise I find this a pretty nice fit.

Nope, seems about the same to me. Another thing I noticed, since those small drawers don't have the same depth as the larger bottom drawer, you could even mount the power supply in the inside the cabinet. Then just poke a hole at the top and bottom of the back for the power cords. There is about an extra 3" (depth) of empty space behind those drawers.

Posted · UM2 + Ikea Drawer Unit = Compact Printing Station

oh yea, and if you do end up getting this and mount the power supply inside it, you will want to ensure it's mounted at the same level, or higher, then the 3rd drawer. Otherwise if you fill up the bottom drawer with 10 spools of filament, it will bump into the power supply unit, and you won't be able to close that bottom drawer all the way.