Print bed doesn't go all the way up

laughingrice

Posted · Print bed doesn't go all the way up

I recently had a weird problem arise, the print bed won't go all the way up, and rather stops about an inch bellow the correct level.

I tried turning the printer off and on, running bed calibration, resetting device settings and reinstalling the firmware but nothing seems to help.

There doesn't seem to be anything loose that I can detect and the bed height seems pretty consistent, just wrong. If I brute force it after the print starts it finishes correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Print bed doesn't go all the way up

That sounds really bad. When it doesn't reach the top the motor did 'sound' or it just stop?

Also with the printer off, can you raise the bed (grip it from the bottom two hands) to the correct position or manually you encounter 'something' blocking it?

Edited by Guest

The motor doesn't make any noise, I can raise it all the way up when it's off. I can also force the step motor to rotate and get the bed all the way up and the print goes fine (that makes bad noises though).

I just ran into the same problem with a second ultimaker 2 after trying to run the same print, which makes me wonder if CURA is not putting something weird into the file and messing things up. I tried another print from the SD card though and that doesn't resolve the problem

That sounds really bad. When it doesn't reach the top the motor did 'sound' or it just stop?

Also with the printer off, can you raise the bed (grip it from the bottom two hands) to the correct position or manually you encounter 'something' blocking it?

• 1 year later...

1) Did you change the firmware to an ultimaker 2 go recently? That is half as tall.

2) Does the bed move all the way down before it goes up half way?

3) Did you mess with the board a little? there is a connector on the bottom of the board and if you accidentally plug the fan into that connector then the Z moves half as far (16 microsteps instead of 8).

On 11/17/2016 at 11:37 PM, gr5 said:

1) Did you change the firmware to an ultimaker 2 go recently? That is half as tall.

2) Does the bed move all the way down before it goes up half way?

3) Did you mess with the board a little? there is a connector on the bottom of the board and if you accidentally plug the fan into that connector then the Z moves half as far (16 microsteps instead of 8).

Was this ever resolved?

Anyone know?

Have the same issue!

There are many possibilities.  We need more information.

One  likely thing is that either you have the wrong firmware (you may have the normal firmware but have the UM2 extended.  The normal printer is roughly cubical but the extended is about 4 inches taller.

Another is that you just haven't done the bed calibration yet.  Did you do that?

It could also be that you are skipping steps because the z screw is too dirty.  But that would probably make a pretty loud vibration noise (not a smooth voom sound but a bouncy, noise like a box of rocks thrown down the stairs).

Even better show a video of what you are talking about.

27 minutes ago, gr5 said:

There are many possibilities.  We need more information.

One  likely thing is that either you have the wrong firmware (you may have the normal firmware but have the UM2 extended.  The normal printer is roughly cubical but the extended is about 4 inches taller.

Another is that you just haven't done the bed calibration yet.  Did you do that?

It could also be that you are skipping steps because the z screw is too dirty.  But that would probably make a pretty loud vibration noise (not a smooth voom sound but a bouncy, noise like a box of rocks thrown down the stairs).

Even better show a video of what you are talking about.

1. Its definitely regular 2+ and the match firmware.

2. Can't do the bed calibration bcuz its still an inch to 2 inches lower than head

3. Spot cleaned and lubed the entire unit when began working on it. Everything moves freely and quietly.

It just seems like a firmware issue but I can't help but wonder if there is a jumper on the board missing. As mentioned elsewhere that I discovered is that UP is DOWN and DOWN is UP in Cura (4.9.1 and 4.10 and 4.3) but the Z plug is not backwards so ~(o.o)~

fionagrutza and I are discussing this issue in another thread but I think the problem is that fiona needs to rotate the control knob on the printer - not the 3 leveling knobs.  Knob confusion.