What Happened to My Poor Overhangs and Support???

the_schire

Posted · What Happened to My Poor Overhangs and Support???

So I'm in the process of printing the frame to a 250 ish sized racing quad, and I'm having a lot of problems with the central body piece. It has a lot of overhangs, and definitely requires support at the front and back. However, my support material is getting very distorted (for lack of a better term) at the rear. I've printed two so far, one with support touching bed only, then another with support everywhere. But both times the support (at the back portion mostly) turned into a scrambled mess before fixing itself .5a331364270f1_BodyPrintingTakeTwo.thumb.jpg.40ea82a98ed5015f99ca714e4946b316.jpg 5a331364ee98b_SupportMaterial.thumb.jpg.6c1be50dff8daf684ff18511255e0c07.jpg

Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix what's going on? Thanks!

5a331364270f1_BodyPrintingTakeTwo.thumb.jpg.40ea82a98ed5015f99ca714e4946b316.jpg

5a331364ee98b_SupportMaterial.thumb.jpg.6c1be50dff8daf684ff18511255e0c07.jpg

I looks like you have some stringing going on. If your support is lines the oozing can knock it over.

On things that need quite high support I use grid, It is less likely to fall or break. You could also try adjusting you retraction settings or printing a bit cooler to help stop oozing or stringing.

The support looks like its not stuck to the bed very strong? does it peel off really easy? you may need to clean the bed with alcohol as the blue tape has a wax coating on which needs to be removed.

You could also adjust the bed up a bit maybe.

1) White is tough to print with. As you know :)

2) Your skirt lines look to be lifting up...are you well calibrated with the Z axis?

3) Like Labern says, clean the tape with rubbing alcohol (breathe deeply too, enjoy!)

I was trying to print the front sight of the Star Wars blaster piece, which is shaped like a W. I used the line support and it was getting knocked over because it was so thin...and the part was so small.

On things that need quite high support I use grid, It is less likely to fall or break. You could also try adjusting you retraction settings or printing a bit cooler to help stop oozing or stringing.

That's good to know about the grid. I think my retractions may be a little fast as the filament sometimes gets ground up when retracting. What settings would you recommend for retraction? Right now it's set at 40mm/s and 4.5mm.

Mine is normally 4.5mm at 25mm/s or 30mm/s.

UM set it to 25mm/s because of the grinding issue.

He has an Ultimaker Original (as do I) Would the 25 mm/sec apply to our machines? Or the UM2s? Or all?

Oh yeah, I forgot it was UMO :) Default for that is 40mm/s. It wouldnt hurt to slow it up a bit as fast moves can tend to grind, Its like yanking on a rope with a weight on the other end fast can hurt your hands but pulling slowly doesnt. but if its retracting multiple times over the same bit of filament you can change the minimum extrude before retracting to help also

Oh yeah, I forgot it was UMO :)Default for that is 40mm/s. It wouldnt hurt to slow it up a bit as fast moves can tend to grind, Its like yanking on a rope with a weight on the other end fast can hurt your hands but pulling slowly doesnt. but if its retracting multiple times over the same bit of filament you can change the minimum extrude before retracting to help also

If I changed the minimum extrude, what would happen if it needs to retract before it reaches that minimum? Would it just lay down plastic somewhere else? Also what speed would you recommend for our machines? I feel like. 30 ish would work, but I haven't tinkered at all with retraction settings. Thanks!