Dual Extrusion Kit on Ultimaker Original +?

Posted · Dual Extrusion Kit on Ultimaker Original +?

I've been getting some pretty amazing prints off my Original +, and I'm looking to take it a step further with dualstrusion. While looking around on Ultimaker's site, I saw something I thought was pretty cool - a dual extrusion kit for the Original. Even though the description of the kit says it only works with the Original, I'm pretty sure it would work on my Original +. I looked at all the parts included in the kit, and they seem to match up pretty well with what I had in my extruder kit. The only problems I can see coming up are the fact that the holes engraved in the back panel for the extruder to hang on are on the right side of the machine (not a huge problem), and the hotend on the original is a little bit different from mine. Other than that, it looks like it would work. Any thoughts?

Alright - sounds good. The link to the power supply isn't working - do you think you might be able to link it again on this post? I'll look around for one anyways. Thanks for the quick response, though!

https://www.meanwell-web.com/en/download_datasheet.php?products_id=GS280A24-C4P&type=3

The model with the same connector umo+/um2 uses It's called the same but with R7B at the end instead of C4P. But it's almost imposible to find. I did just cut the cable.

Btw dual on umo drips, it's a pain mostly.

Good 32 pages to read:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer?page=1

Dang. Even with retractions? I've heard of people printing "dualstrusion shields" that basically wrap around the design and keep the drips off of the actual model. After you're done, you just peel it off. Think that'd help at all, or should I just go with foehnsturm's design?

Just really interested in getting two-color prints. Maybe even some dissolve-in-hot-water support material... :)

With some scripting and simplify3d you might be able to print some stuff but unless the object you print it's really small it will get contamination from the other nozzle. There are heads that tilt to avoid that but also with 2.85 filament to control the dripping would need very low temps and slow speeds.

It's posible? Sure. But you won't get the same quality as a single head.

The magentic change avoids that but isn't free of problems.

Last week I saw the felix pro1 in action, it has a tilting mechanism, and worked pretty nice, for sure not perfect, but usable. The only thing is that with the cooling to prevent oozing (they cool till 140 and print at 190) and heating up, the nozzle change is incredibly slow...

http://www.felixprinters.com/

I think 2 separate nozzles is really the way to go.... like the BCN3D Sigma, or a tillting mechanism combined with water cooling;

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/17656-ultimaker-2-dual-extruder-einstellen

• Like 1