Issues with printing Nylon

gbr1

Posted (edited) · Issues with printing Nylon

Hi all,

Trying to print with Taulamn 645. Trying lots of settings but not getting much luck! Loads of underextrusion. The strange thing is the first layer is always printing really well, then after that flow becomes poor. I restart the print with diff settings and again it prints well until the second layer..

Temp-230-255

Flow everything from 95-110%

Layer height 0.1-0.2

No fan

image.thumb.jpeg.4624c861277ba61f2dba5875407c6fd6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4ad2de6e31e5f08d36d2c1155c3ff797.jpeg

Any thoughts welcome.

Many thanks

GBR1

image.thumb.jpeg.4624c861277ba61f2dba5875407c6fd6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4ad2de6e31e5f08d36d2c1155c3ff797.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Issues with printing Nylon

I have never printed with nylon but you say the first layer is good?

So with default first layer settings its 0.3 and about 20mm/s. this may be a good indicator.

slow the print down a bit and maybe print a bit cooler.

Do you hear little crackles as it prints. Nylon soaks up heaps of water, this makes it expand as it heats and you can hear little crackles. So printing cooler helps

But like i say, i haven't printed with nylon so what do i know.

Thanks Labern,

I will give those a go. One thing I have done is order some 618 and that (currently) is printing fine.

Quite strange, some more time spent changing settings with the 645.

Many thanks

GBR1

Thanks Labern,

I will give those a go.  One thing I have done is order some 618 and that (currently) is printing fine.

Quite strange, some more time spent changing settings with the 645.

Many thanks

GBR1

Taulman has printing specs that you could check to see the difference in temp and speed between 618 and 645. Just alter the difference between the one that prints well and the one that doesn't.

Hi,

I am not using an UM printer but I do print alot of nylon. In my opinion Nylon is among the most difficult materials when it comes to printing. It is extremely sensitive to humidity, if there is any humidity in the room it will be sucked into the nylon. I have noticed a popping sound when printing humid nylon as well as seeing puffs of white water vapour from the nozzle. This make the print bumpy at the surface. I also think thicker layers are easier to print compared to .1 or .2 layers, most of my parts are 0.4mm layers.